Gayle, Bravo left out of the first Test against IndiaJune 18th, 2011 - 5:48 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), June 18 (IANS) Chris Gayle has been ignored for West Indies’ first Test against India at Sabina Park beginning Monday.
Gayle, who is involved in a bitter row with the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), had an unproductive meeting with the management Tuesday.
Only one change has been made in the 13-member squad for the first Test with Trinidad opener Adrian Barath replacing Barbados opener Kraigg Brathwaite.
Barath had been out of action because of a hamstring injury ahead of the World Cup in the sub-continent. He made a comeback in the final ODI against India at Sabina Park Thursday.
Dwayne Bravo also has not been considered. The all-rounder, who played in the first two ODIs against India before asking to be rested for the remaining matches, had expressed his wish to play in the Test series.
All-rounder Andre Russell, who impressed with his performance in the ODIs, was also dropped.
Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who did not play the in the ODI series owing to injury, has found a place in the squad. The WICB said it would meet Chanderpaul before the first Test.
“Following communications between WICB management and Chanderpaul over the past weeks the WICB management and team management will meet with Shivnarine Chanderpaul prior to the Test,” the board said.
“The WICB management and team management will outline to Chanderpaul the WICB’s expectations of him in his future participation in the West Indies team as a player.”
Squad: Darren Sammy (capt), Brendan Nash, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh (wk), Devendra Bishoo, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Fidel Edwards, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Marlon Samuels, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons.
–indo-asian news service
- West Indies arrive for series against India - Nov 03, 2011
- No Chris Gayle in West Indies squad for India - Nov 01, 2011
- WICB refuses contracts to Gayle, Sarwan, Bravo, Pollard - Oct 05, 2011
- Barath, Rampaul recalled for 5th ODI as Gayle ignored again - Jun 15, 2011
- West Indies replace Nash with Edwards, no place for Gayle - Jun 26, 2011
- Ramdin, Shillingford recalled to Windies Test squad - Sep 23, 2011
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- Gayle wins WIPA cricketer of the year award - Jun 06, 2011
- Lively Sabina Park track a test for injury-plagued India against Windies - Jun 19, 2011
- Edwards replaces Rampaul for Jamaica Test - Jul 31, 2012
- West Indies 80 for no loss at lunch - Nov 22, 2011
- Deonarine named in Windies squad for first Test - Apr 05, 2012
- Top-four hit 50s as West Indies reach 267/2 (Roundup) - Nov 22, 2011
- West Indies call up Shillingford for Trinidad Test - Apr 13, 2012
- India opt to bat against the West Indies in first Test - Jun 20, 2011
Tags: asian news, barath, bitter row, chris gayle, dwayne bravo, fidel edwards, kemar, kingston jamaica, lendl, marlon samuels, member squad, odi series, odis, ramnaresh sarwan, ravi rampaul, sabina park, shivnarine chanderpaul, west indies cricket, west indies cricket board, wicb