Gaurav Gill in lead in Asia Pacific RallyJuly 3rd, 2010 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
Whangarei (New Zealand), July 3 (IANS) India’s champion driver Gaurav Gill (co-driver Glenn Macneall) of Team MRF Tyres took a 48-second lead at the end of Leg 1 here of the Rally of New Zealand, the third round of the Asia Pacific Rally Championship.
Driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 10, Gill was in imperious form Saturday as he was the fastest among the APRC drivers, including team-mate and championship leader Katsu Taguchi (co-driver Chris Murphy), in six of the eight Special Stages completed Saturday.
Gill, the 29-year old from Delhi, led Alister McRae (co-driver Bill Hayes) of Proton R3 Team (Malaysia) by 48 seconds while Taguchi, struggling with engine and turbo problems, had a difficult day when he just managed to bring his Evo home.
“It’s been a good day so far. We did make a decent tyre choice in the morning, but we made some extra cuts for the afternoon because we thought it might rain.
“But it didn’t and the tyres were getting overheated and it wasn’t very easy to keep the car on the road. Anyway our priority was to get back here for the team and it’s a big championship. We did some good times in the short stages. We could do well because the tyres worked very well,” said Gill, who has been having an excellent season this year, having bagged podium spots in the two earlier APRC rounds in Malaysia and Japan.
Taguchi, winner of both the rounds this year, said: “Everything is not good. There is a problem with both the engine and turbo, but we are lucky. We had spare oil in the car to get us back here. Because we have leg points for the APRC, we are safe overall. But a big day tomorrow.”
The results (Leg 1 - APRC):
Gaurav Gill/Glen Macneall (MRF) 1 (1hr, 25mins, 13.5secs); Alister McRae/Ben Hayes (Proton R3) 2 (1:26:00.7); Rifat Sungkar/Scott Beckwith (Pertamina Rally Team) 3 (1:32:33.8); Katsuhiko Taguchi/Chris Murphy (MRF) 4 (1:38:36.3).
- MRF team for APRC series - Apr 14, 2010
- Team MRF hope to score with Skoda - Mar 29, 2012
- Gill finishes seventh in Asia Pacific Rally - Jul 04, 2010
- Atkinson wins it for MRF - Apr 01, 2012
- 1-2 finish for Team MRF - Apr 25, 2010
- Two more Indians head to Asia Pacific Rally Championship - Jun 10, 2011
- MRF cars quickest in shakedown at Asia Pacific Rally - Mar 30, 2012
- Gaurav Gill tops among Asian Rally drivers - Sep 08, 2011
- Gaurav Gill in command in Rally de Bengal - Dec 17, 2011
- Gaurav Gill takes commanding lead at Odisha Rally - Dec 10, 2011
- Gill set to clinch Rally of Maharashtra - Jun 26, 2010
- Gill set to take top honours in Maharashtra Rally - Jun 04, 2011
- Team MRF dominate Day 1 of Nashik Rally - Jun 03, 2011
- Gaurav Gill poised to win Rally of Coimbatore - Jul 24, 2011
- Rally of Odisha: Gaurav Gill fastest on day one - Dec 10, 2011
Tags: alister mcrae, bill hayes, champion driver, championship leader, co driver, gaurav, gill co, including team, lancer evolution 10, mitsubishi lancer, mitsubishi lancer evolution, mitsubishi lancer evolution 10, mrf tyres, pertamina, proton r3, rally championship, rally team, rifat, team mate, tyre choice