Gascoigne’s ex-wife gets undisclosed libel damages from UK paperDecember 18th, 2010 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 18 (ANI): Troubled footballer Paul Gascoigne’s ex-wife has got undisclosed libel damages over a newspaper report based on allegations by her former mother-in-law and other family members.
Sheryl Gascoigne had complained about a March 2009 story in the Sunday Mirror headlined “I blame Sheryl”.
At the High Court in London, her solicitor, Roderick Chisholm-Batten, told the judge Ms Gascoigne was deeply distressed by the publication of the false allegations, The Scotsman reports.
It was suggested she had provoked the attack on her by Gascoigne at the Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire in October 1996 by making abusive remarks about his mother.
It was also claimed she had coerced him into taking part in a TV documentary despite his fragile mental and physical state, and that she had callously refused to let Gascoigne’s mother see her grandson for six years.
Chisholm-Batten said: “Each and every one of these allegations is untrue. As Paul has himself publicly admitted, there was no excuse for what he did to her at the Gleneagles Hotel.
“The suggestion it was Ms Gascoigne who pushed her ex-husband into taking part in the Channel 4 documentary is also untrue.” (ANI)
- Gazza's ex-wife accepts five-figure payout from newspaper - May 08, 2010
- David Beckham's sex case gets murkier - Jan 23, 2011
- Ex-wife says 'she's public enemy No. 1 for revealing Gazza's abuse' - Oct 14, 2009
- I'm A Celeb reality show bosses kick Gazza out, replace him with ex-wife - Oct 24, 2009
- Gazza slams ex-wife Sheryl for "using him" - Oct 18, 2009
- Gazza rubbishes ex-wife's '10 times a day' sex claims - Oct 12, 2009
- Gazza plans to remarry his ex-wife - Jun 30, 2008
- Gascoigne slept with hookers, claims ex-wife - Oct 10, 2009
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Gazza believes ex-wife is aiming to kill him - Jun 16, 2009
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- Chinese woman kills mother-in-law, toddler - Sep 12, 2012
- Beckham counter-sued by sex worker - Feb 20, 2011
- Woman nabbed for killing mother-in-law - Mar 17, 2012
- Halle Berry's allegations are untrue and irresponsible, says ex-beau - Feb 02, 2011
Tags: batten, channel 4, excuse, false allegations, family members, footballer, gleneagles hotel, libel damages, london, mother in law, newspaper report, paul gascoigne, perthshire, roderick chisholm, sheryl gascoigne, six years, solicitor, suggestion, sunday mirror, tv documentary