Gary Kirsten to be appointed South African coachJune 4th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, June 4 (IANS) Former India coach Gary Kirsten looks set to take over as coach of his native South Africa with the formal appointment scheduled for Monday.
The Star reported Saturday that Kirsten is set to be joined by his former team-mate and fast bowling legend Allan Donald and domestic side Warriors coach Russell Domingo, who are expected to be included in his management staff pending a Cricket South Africa (CSA) board meeting regarding contractual and personal terms.
Donald, however, is also in talks with the New Zealand Cricket Board over his extension as a bowling coach of the national side.
Kirsten was widely expected to replace Corrie van Zyl after the 43-year-old led hosts India to World Cup glory for the first time in 28 years earlier this year. The country’s cricket bosses are not commenting at this stage as CSA are expected to unveil Kirsten at an official press conference. The details in terms of the length of Kirsten’s contract will also be made public there, the report said.
CSA also got in touch with renowned international coaches Australian John Buchanan, Zimbabwean Duncan Fletcher and Englishman Richard Pybus for the top job. Fletcher has now joined the Indian team.
CSA chief executive Gerald Majola, Van Zyl (high performance manager), Andrew Hudson (selection convener), Andrew O’Connor (chairman, cricket committee) and Boeta Dippenaar (SA Cricketers’ Association representative) are part of the panel that was set up to select the coach.
“Gary will be good for South African cricket. He has done unbelievably well with India. He has a great work ethic and knows what is expected of a coach at international level,” former South Africa captain Kepler Wessels said Friday.
On Donald, he said: “Allan has wanted to be involved with the Proteas for a long time. He is very passionate about South African cricket and he will do a good job. He has coached quite a lot and is good technically and tactically.”
- Kirsten has not applied for South Africa coach job, says Majola - Dec 24, 2010
- Cricket South Africa begins search for new Proteas head coach - Dec 23, 2010
- Kirsten takes over as South Africa's coach - Jun 06, 2011
- Pollock backs Kirsten as SA coach - Jun 07, 2011
- Kirsten keen to coach South African team - Apr 11, 2011
- Chokers tag will stay with team: Cricket South Africa chief - Mar 28, 2011
- Donald to coach Proteas bowlers because Kirsten called - Jun 08, 2011
- SA assistant coach to quit after India tour: report - Jan 28, 2010
- Cricket South Africa has approached me for coach job: Gary Kirsten - Apr 03, 2011
- Dhoni wants India to be disciplined in all three areas - Dec 31, 2010
- South African cricket in turmoil ahead of India tour - Jan 27, 2010
- South Africa coach reminds India of their poor record - Dec 13, 2010
- Proteas coach Mickey Arthur has reportedly quit - Jan 26, 2010
- India eyeing historic Test series win against South Africa - Jan 01, 2011
- Kirsten's successor will have a tough act to follow: Pybus - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: andrew hudson, association representative, boeta dippenaar, bowling coach, coach russell, cricket board, cricket south africa, duncan fletcher, formal appointment, international coaches, john buchanan, kepler wessels, native south africa, new zealand cricket, richard pybus, south african coach, south african cricket, van zyl, work ethic, world cup glory