Ganguly to begin innings in cricket administration at CAB AGMJuly 22nd, 2009 - 1:06 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 21 (IANS) Former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly will make his debut in cricket administration by attending the July 31 annual general meeting of the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB).
Ganguly will be a nominee of the Mohammedan Sporting Club, which finalised his name for the AGM at an executive committee meeting Tuesday.
“We have decided to make him our representative at the AGM. It’s a privilege to be associated with a personality like Ganguly,” Sporting president and union Minister of State for Tourism Sultan Ahmed told IANS.
Ganguly was earlier this month being tipped to take on incumbent Jagmohan Dalmiya for the CAB president’s post as a candidate of the opposition combine, but decided to take a shot at the top post next year after getting an insight into the functioning of the Association.
However, the cricket star is assured of a place in the CAB working committee after the AGM as Bhukailash Sporting club has decided to nominate him to the prestigious body.
“As per CAB’s rotational policy, after the AGM it will be our turn to be a member of the 43-strong working committee. And we have decided to nominate Ganguly to the committee,” said Bhukailash secretary Mintu Das.
With Dalmiya all set to be elected unopposed, his group has decided to retain the same panel which won the elections last year.
The opposition is still toying with the idea of contesting one of the two posts of joint secretary and the name of Sujon Mukherjee is doing rounds as the lobby’s candidate.
- Dalmiya has a challenger in Samar Pal for top CAB post - Jul 21, 2012
- Dalmiya all set to continue unchallenged as CAB chief - Jul 27, 2010
- Dalmiya re-elected CAB president - Jul 28, 2012
- Sourav to debut in cricket administration, Dalmiya will be uncontested - Jul 30, 2009
- Dalmiya set to retain CAB president's post - Jul 24, 2009
- Sedate CAB AGM folds up in 40 minutes - Jul 28, 2010
- Dalmiya unlikely to face opposition in CAB presidential race - Jul 11, 2009
- Loyalists desert cricket czar Dalmiya, opposition seeks challenger - Jul 08, 2009
- Dalmiya is a legend in cricket administration: Ganguly - Jul 24, 2009
- Ganguly questions key decisions of Dalmiya at CAB AGM - Aug 01, 2009
- Srinivasan set to be BCCI president-elect - Sep 28, 2010
- Has Eden Gardens become a pawn in cricket board politics? - Feb 04, 2011
- CAB trying to rope in Kapil as bowling consultant - Jul 28, 2012
- IOA president's election: Abhay Chautala may take on Randhir - Sep 13, 2012
- Sachin to be presented 100 guineas, golden bat by Mamata - May 11, 2012
Tags: annual general meeting, combine, committee meeting, cricket association of bengal, debut, elections, executive committee, indian captain, insight, jagmohan dalmiya, kolkata, minister of state, mintu, opposition, personality, privilege, sporting club, sultan ahmed, union minister, working committee