Ganguly ’surprised’ at Yuvraj’s recallAugust 10th, 2012 - 11:23 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, August 10 (IANS) Former India captain Sourav Ganguly Friday expressed surprise over the recall of stylish batsman Yuvraj Singh to the India squad for the upcoming World T20 championship in Sri Lanka. He was also dismayed by selectors’ failure to inject new blood in the team.
“I am surprised at his (Yuvraj) selection. I don’t know how good a shape he is in at the moment. But if he is fit to play, it’s always more than a gain for India,” said Ganguly on the sidelines of a promotional event here.
“I just wish he physically stays well. He has recovered, which is the best thing that can happen, but it has not been a long time and I wish and pray he sustains,” he said.
The former left-hander opener was critical of the Krishnamachari Srikkanth-led selection committee for retaining almost the same squad for the two Test match series against New Zealand, which has lost eight overseas Tests in a row.
“It’s really surprising to see more or less the same squad even after eight consecutive defeats. There are hardly any changes when this series offered the best time to have a look at the reserves. The selectors can only have an answer to their logic,” said Ganguly.
He also had words of advice for beleaguered batsman Rohit Sharma who was dropped from the squad. “Talent and ability is very much there in Rohit. What he needs to do now is just keep his cool, go back to domestic cricket, get some runs there and come back fresh.”
Ganguly also hoped the selectors ensured a “dignified farewell” for veteran V.V.S. Laxman.
“It’s great to see Balaji being back again. I still don’t forget the series against Pakistan back in 2004 where he was absolutely brilliant. Hope he delivers again,” said Ganguly on the selectors reposing faith in Laxmipathy Balaji, who has made a surprise comeback to the team.
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Yuvraj makes memorable comeback (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Dravid back in ODI squad after two years (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Tendulkar opts out; Sehwag, Zaheer back for Lanka tour (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Shukla blasts Venkat for being dropped from East Zone squad - Mar 12, 2012
- Rohit out, Chawla in: No other surprises in World Cup squad (Second Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- Selectors pick three spinners for India's World Cup squad (Lead) - Jan 17, 2011
- We laid stress on players' fitness, says Srikkanth - Jun 07, 2010
- I am willing to own up for the Nagpur loss: Srikkanth - Feb 10, 2010
- Batting failure caused debacle in Australia: Srikkanth - Jan 15, 2012
- Selectors have to take a call on Harbhajan - Oct 28, 2011
- Indian Test squad chosen from the future point of view: Srikkanth - Oct 29, 2011
- Laxman has given strong and clear message to selectors: Ganguly - Aug 18, 2012
- Sehwag's absence in first two Tests will benefit England: Akram - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: august 10, batsman, best time, domestic cricket, failure, faith, farewell, left hander, logic, long time, new blood, pakistan, selection committee, selectors, shape, sidelines, sourav ganguly, test match, veteran, words of advice