Ganguly fans block movement of trains over his omission from Oz tri-seriesJanuary 21st, 2008 - 7:31 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, Jan.21 (ANI): Fans of cricketer Sourav Ganguly today blocked the movement of a couple of trains in two sections of Eastern Railwayat Barasat in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas District in protest against his exclusion from the Indian team for the triangular tournament in Australia.
The blockade started a little after 10 a.m., with protesters demanding that Ganguly be reinducted into the team.
Train services between Barasat-Bongaon and Barasat-Hasnabad sections were affected, an Eastern Railways spokesman said.
The selection committee had on Sunday dropped Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and VVS Laxman, while announcing the squad for the tri-series which will also feature Australia and Sri Lanka.
Earlier in the day, the Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) Vice President, Rajiv Shukla, has defended the national selectors decision to drop experienced players — Rahul Dravid, Sourav Ganguly and V. V. S. Laxman — for next month’s triangular series in Australia, but said it was not the end of the road for them.
“They (the selectors) have struck a good combination in the form of both young and experienced players. And now, the game has many formats such as Tests, One Day and Twenty20. Therefore, we selected the best players for the tests, like Anil Kumble, Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid, whose performances have been excellent,” he said.
“The team has been selected keeping in mind the Australian conditions, but this does not mean that the players like Dravid and Ganguly have been dropped permanently from one-dayers. Whenever the selectors feel they need them, they would be chosen as well,” he added.
Gautam Gambhir, who has cracked three centuries in the Ranji Trophy this season, has been included in the team, as have Suresh Raina, Praveen Kumar and Dinesh Karthik.
Suresh Raina, who last played an ODI in January 2007, and Praveen Kumar, the allrounder who played an ODI last season, benefited from good performances in Uttar Pradesh’s Ranji Trophy season to make the squad.
Piyush Chawla, who was impressive during last year’s tour of England, takes the second spinner’s spot partnering Harbhajan Singh.
Squad: Mahendra Singh Dhoni (captain), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Robin Uthappa, Gautam Gambhir, Irfan Pathan, Shanthakumaran Sreesanth, Rudra Pratap Singh, Ishant Sharma, Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Dinesh Karthik, Piyush Chawla and Pravin Kumar. (ANI)
- Board's Grade A contract for Yuvraj, Ishant and Virat - Oct 29, 2011
- Indian cricket team leaves for West Indies - Jun 01, 2011
- World Cup: Selectors to pick 15-member Indian team Monday - Jan 14, 2011
- Srikanth, selectors in Chennai to select India's World Cup 2011 team - Jan 17, 2011
- BCCI announces 2011World Cup probables - Dec 18, 2010
- Selectors announce 15-member India squad for World Cup - Jan 17, 2011
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Seniors rested for Zimbabwe tour, Raina to lead - May 09, 2010
- Yuvraj back, Badrinath axed from Test squad(Lead) - Jun 26, 2010
- Dravid, Irfan not among World Cup probables (Lead) - Dec 18, 2010
- Mithun replaces Praveen in Test squad for Australia tour - Dec 06, 2011
- Yuvraj returns for T20 World Cup, Harbhajan recalled (Second Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Pujara, Chawla get Test call-up - Aug 10, 2012
- Lanka tri-series: Tendulkar, Gambhir Bhajji rested, Yuvraj recalled - Jul 31, 2010
- This is how the IPL teams will look - Jan 09, 2011
Tags: allrounder, ani fans, Anil Kumble, barasat, bcci, dinesh karthik, eastern railways, gambhir, good combination, national selectors, rahul dravid, rajiv shukla, ranji trophy, suresh raina, team train, train services, tri series, triangular series, v v s laxman, west bengal