Gangjee third, Bhullar fifth in Bangkok (Lead)February 5th, 2009 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, Feb 5 (IANS) Rahil Gangjee got off to a stunning start with a flawless six-under 65 while his younger colleague Gaganjeet Bhullar was in equalling devastating form to card a five-under 66 on the opening day of the Asian Tour International which kicked off the 2009 season.Gangjee was tied third, while Bhullar was fifth at the Suwan Golf and Country Club, where Marcus Both returned the day’s best at eight-under 63. Both led Tetsuji Hiratsuka (64). Gangjee and Unho Park (66) were tied third.
Gangjee, who missed the Tour card last season, shot six birdies, two on the front nine and four on the back nine, as he finished the round early in the morning in excellent conditions for golf.
“It felt nice to bring in a lot of birdies,” said Gangjee, who is determined to get off to a good start and avoid pressure at the end of the season. “The ball striking was good and I hope to keep the feel going.”
Bhullar, who finished right at the cut-line at 65th place on the Asian Tour Order of Merit last season, rued his chances of taking the outright lead in the morning after committing two costly bogeys on the ninth and 18th. “I dropped two costly shots on the finishing ninth and 18th holes. But somehow I think I’m still hitting the ball really well. However, I think it’s too early to say what’s going to happen over the next few days,” said the young Indian.
Bhullar had seven birdies and two bogeys. He had four birdies on the front nine and three more on back nine. He also dropped a shot each on ninth and 18th.
Gaurav Ghei ended the first day at two-under 69 and Digvijay Singh shot even par 71. C Muniyappa, two-under after seven, went three over on the back nine for a day’s work of 72. Amandeep Johl even after nine finished at three-over 74 as did Anirban Lahiri.
- Gangjee, Bhullar off to great starts in Asian Tour International - Feb 05, 2009
- Hiratsuka wins dramatic playoff at Black Mountain, Chowrasia 40th - Dec 19, 2010
- Chowrasia slips in third round, unknown Thai takes lead - Dec 18, 2010
- Westwood triumphs at Thailand golf, Jeev finishes tied seventh - Dec 18, 2011
- Gangjee best Indian at tied 13th in Queen's Cup golf - Jun 20, 2010
- Hiratsuka wins Panasonic Open, Jeev shares fourth place - Sep 25, 2011
- Solid start for Himmat, Chowrasia at Black Mountain Masters - Dec 16, 2010
- Digvijay Singh wins Panasonic Open India - Apr 01, 2012
- Jyoti Randhawa leads DLF Masters - Sep 17, 2010
- Bhullar tied 17th with Ishikawa - May 13, 2010
- Lahiri leads pack at SAIL-SBI Open golf - Feb 23, 2012
- Golf: Sharmila ahead by two strokes - Aug 22, 2012
- Dodt lands maiden title, Gangjee ends 14th - Feb 14, 2010
- Smriti wins seventh Hero Women's Pro Tour title - Mar 30, 2012
- Bhullar still in contention in fourth place at Handa Classic golf - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: amandeep, asian tour, bangkok, bhullar, birdies, bogeys, colleague, digvijay singh, few days, ghei, golf and country club, holes, johl, lahiri, opening day, order of merit, rahil gangjee, unho park