Gang robs football legend Pele at gunpointJune 23rd, 2008 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 23 (ANI): Brazilian football legend Pele was robbed by an armed gang while on his way to his seaside home in Santos, Brazil.
Pele was robbed of his gold necklace, cell phone and a watch vat gunpoint.
As many as 10 people are reported to have been involved in the robbery, but Pele was unhurt in the incident.
The robbery - which took place on June 13, was not made public until now. It occurred near the city of Santos in southern Sao Paulo state, The Telegraph reported.
Pele was riding in the passenger seat of a car when it was stopped near a slum by at least 10 young men armed with pistols and knives, the report said.
When the assailants approached his car, Pele rolled down the window and told them who he was, but they robbed him anyway, according to the Veja report.
Estado de S. Paulo reported the robbers gave back some of the items after learning of their victim’s identity.
Both Veja and the Estado de S. Paulo newspaper quoted an unidentified Pele spokesman as saying that the 67-year-old star told friends about the robbery while attending last weeks football match between Brazil and Argentina.
Pele, whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, helped Brazil win three of its five World Cup titles.
He was declared a national treasure by the Brazilian government and in 1999 was voted Athlete of the Century by the worlds national Olympic committees.
Pele did not report the crime to police. (ANI)
- A football package at Goa festival - Nov 27, 2011
- Neymar can surpass Messi, Maradona: Pele - Aug 19, 2012
- Sao Paulo is on a comeback trail, says Fabiano - Apr 26, 2012
- Brazil credit-card interest rate tops 300 percent - Jul 18, 2012
- Man holds up Brazil vice president with toy gun - Jul 10, 2011
- Santos reach Sao Paulo state championship final - Apr 30, 2012
- Doctor who helped Pele father twins on run after sexually assault, rape convictions - Jan 24, 2011
- Kidnapped Chile star to stay in Brazil for a month - Jun 16, 2012
- Kaka on Galaxy radar to replace Beckham - Aug 18, 2012
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Robinho expected to return to Santos from AC Milan - Mar 23, 2012
- Valdivia enjoys playing again after kidnapping - Jul 03, 2012
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Brazil select 22 players for Olympic football squad - Jul 06, 2012
- Neymar crowned Brazilian player of year - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: armed gang, assailants, brazilian football, brazilian government, football legend, football match, gold necklace, gunpoint, national olympic committees, national treasure, old star, passenger seat, pele, pistols, robbers, robbery, santos brazil, sao paulo state, slum, world cup titles