Gambhir lashes out at AfridiJuly 16th, 2011 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) India’s opening batsman Gautam Gambhir lashed out at former Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi, who said that Indians are not large-hearted like the Pakistanis.
Afridi’s comments came after Gambhir dedicated the World Cup win to the victims of Mumbai’s 26/11 terror attacks, which were carried out by Pakistani nationals.
“It looks like Afridi is behaving still in the same manner when he debuted at the age of 16 in international cricket. He is still immature. It was my personal wish to pay tributes to the 26/11 victims,” Gambhir was quoted as saying by India TV.
On his verbal skirmish with Afridi during a Test match in 2007 that led to one-match ban, Gambhir said: “I now realize that I should not have lost my temper on small issues. It was a personal thing. He had hurled abuses at me, which I do not want to mention here.”
Gambhir said that all Pakistani cricketers have a habit of making loud comments during play.
“Not only Kamran (Akmal), but most of the Pakistanis have this habit of (over) appealing. Most of the wicketkeepers are unlike Kamran. Dhoni never shouts while keeping the wickets,” he said.
On the upcoming India-Pakistan series to be held in March, Gambhir said: “I always feel happy scoring runs against Pakistan. The entire nation becomes aggressive during an India-Pakistan match.”
- Lucknow clerics condemn Afridi's remarks - Apr 05, 2011
- No conflict between Akhtar and Kamran: Afridi - Mar 19, 2011
- Scoreboard of India's innings against Pakistan - Mar 30, 2011
- It will be India's batting vs Pakistan's bowling (Preview) - Mar 29, 2011
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- 325 more Pakistani fans cross into India - Mar 29, 2011
- India wins toss, elects to bat first against Pak in Mohali encounter - Mar 30, 2011
- No farewell match for Shoaib Akhtar - Apr 14, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Night Intro) - Mar 26, 2011
- India bat against Pakistan in World Cup semifinal - Mar 30, 2011
- Pak team management against Shoaib Akhtar's swansong appearance - Apr 14, 2011
- Awesome Pakistan breeze into World Cup semifinals - Mar 24, 2011
- Manmohan invites Zardari, Gilani for cricket -- and peace (Intro Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
- Uninterrupted India-Pakistan dialogue, someday sure - Apr 10, 2011
- Manmohan, Zardari, Gilani to watch cricket -- for peace (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: dhoni, india pakistan match, india tv, international cricket, lashes, mumbai, New Delhi, pakistan captain, pakistani cricketers, pakistani nationals, pakistanis, personal thing, shahid afridi, skirmish, temper, terror attacks, test match, tributes, wickets, world cup