Futnik the pig predicts wins for Poland, RussiaJune 9th, 2012 - 12:03 am ICT by IANS
Kiev, June 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Poland and Russia will dominate the opening day of matches at Euro 2012, a Ukrainian pig named Futnik, billed as the tournament’s fortune-telling expert, indicated Friday.
Funtik the Soothsayer Hog picked bowls of food bearing the Russian and Polish flags outside his hut in the Kiev fan zone, rejecting those with the flags of Poland’s opponent Greece and Russia’s opponent, the Czech Republic.
“The prediction today is victory for Poland and victory for Russia,” said Sergei Bryl, head of the Kiev fan zone.
However, a ferret named Fred, with a similar fortune-telling position in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkov, after arriving at the Kharkov fan zone in a limousine, Friday rejected both bowls of food for both games, thus signifying two draws.
The pig has some support from Polish elephant Citta, who predicted a Polish win when offered a choice of melons at the Krakow Zoo Wednesday. She did not make a prediction for the Russia-Czech fixture.
Citta, a 33-year old female, is one of a veritable menagerie of animals trying to inherit the mystic mantle of Paul the Octopus, who shot to fame with his eerily accurate predictions of games at the 2010 World Cup.
- Citta the elephant predicts Polish win over Russia - Jun 11, 2012
- Downpour floods Kiev's Euro 2012 fan zone - Jun 07, 2012
- Security preparations for Euro 2012 in final phase: Polish official - Dec 07, 2011
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: Russia fined 120,000 euros for crowd trouble - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: At least 56 arrested after Warsaw clashes (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Over 180 arrested in Warsaw football clashes: Police (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Moscow tightens security for Polish embassy - Jun 16, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Over 100 arrested in Warsaw clashes - Jun 13, 2012
- Czechs beat Poland 1-0 to make quarters - Jun 17, 2012
- Polish court to hear appeals by jailed Russian fans - Jul 10, 2012
- British government to boycott Euro 2012 - Jun 08, 2012
- Tango 12 named official ball of Euro 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Polish border guards ready for Euro 2012 - May 23, 2012
Tags: accurate predictions, bowls, euro 2012, fan zone, ferret, hog, kharkov, kiev, limousine, mantle, melons, menagerie, octopus, opening day, opponent, pig, ria novosti, soothsayer, ukrainian city, world cup