Friends say Gazza to quit Britain for a new life in PortugalFebruary 4th, 2009 - 2:59 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb.4 (ANI): Troubled former England football star Paul Gascoigne has announced plans to leave Britain and settle down in Portugal after emerging from rehab a changed man. The ex-England footie idol is to start afresh in Portugal close to new love Sally Mulholland, 44.
The Sun quoted friends of Gazza, 41, as saying that he is at his fittest and most sober in years. Hes out of rehab and back in Gateshead but he wont stay there for long. Friends are looking for a place for him close to Sally on the Algarve. The favourite so far is a modest two-bedroomed villa near Vilamoura, said one of his friends. Gazza, who had a brief spell as coach to Portuguese club Algarve United, is said to have many work options.
Friends say he is planning a new book and at least one club has offered him a role as an ambassador and talent scout.
Paul will be sad to leave Britain because he has so many happy memories but he feels its time to move on. Sally has been a major factor she has given him the strength to stick with the rehab which saved his life, his friend added. His rehab has included a pioneering method in which addicts re-learn social skills by bonding with horses.
Photographer Sally a divorced mum of three has been flying to Britain to support Gazza. But she has family and business ties in Portugal. (ANI)
- No end to 'glazed and legless' Gazza's drinking woes - Nov 05, 2010
- Pal''s blonde wife saves semi-conscious Gazza - Sep 15, 2008
- Gazza in new suicide scare - Nov 22, 2008
- Gazza looks like 'Elephant Man' after car smash - Jun 17, 2010
- Gazza returns to UK after being spurned by Portugal-based lover - Nov 15, 2008
- Love struck Gazza to shift base to Portugal - Sep 30, 2008
- Gazza faces Christmas behind bars after failing to appear before court - Nov 12, 2010
- Gazza's eight-week jail sentence suspended by Newcastle court - Dec 10, 2010
- Gazza ticked off after street kick about with nephew - Aug 24, 2010
- Facing jail time for drunk driving, Gazza now wants to be an actor - Nov 10, 2010
- Tipsy Gazza claims he use to provide criminal Moat with lager and chicken - Jul 10, 2010
- Gazzas mum believes his new love will save his life - Sep 29, 2008
- Gazza checks into rehab again - Jul 15, 2010
- Gazza, Greaves, to undertake stage show - Mar 24, 2011
- Bankrupt Gazza headed for a `reel'''' life on the streets - Nov 24, 2008
Tags: algarve, ambassador, business ties, england football, football star, footie, gateshead, gazza, happy memories, horses, london feb, mulholland, paul gascoigne, photographer, portugal, portuguese club, sally, talent scout, vilamoura, work options