Fresh batch of 3,692 pilgrims leave for Amarnath shrineJune 21st, 2008 - 3:36 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 21 (ANI): Fresh batch of 3,692 pilgrims left for the Amarnath cave shrine here today.
According to official sources, the devotees, including more than 214 sadhus, left in a convoy of 95 vehicles from the base camp of Bhagwati Nagar early this morning.
The pilgrimage was suspended yesterday due to bad weather.
With this batch, as many as 11,943 pilgrims have left Jammu for the shrine. The first batch left on June 17.
The two-month long yatra will conclude on August 16.
Security forces have been put on a high alert along the entire route of the Amarnath yatra to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Fresh batch of 2083 pilgrims leave for Amarnath - Jul 19, 2010
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes after three days from Jammu - Jul 25, 2010
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- More than 150,000 register for Amarnath pilgrimage - May 22, 2011
- Pilgrimage to Shiva's shrine begins in Himachal - Jul 16, 2010
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, convoy, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, june 21, kilometres, pilgrimage, pilgrims, sadhus, security forces, security setup, trek