French Open: World No.1 Azarenka crashes outJune 3rd, 2012 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 3 (IANS/Ria Novosti) World No 1 Victoria Azarenka has joined the growing number of top players to crash out of the French Open tennis after a straight-sets defeat to Dominika Cibulkova in the fourth round of the women singles here Sunday.
Cibulkova controlled the first set and was a break up in the second before top seed Azarenka launched a comeback, only for the Slovakian to hold her nerve in the tiebreak for a 6-2, 7-6(4) win.
The defeat was Azarenka’s fourth of a season in which she has won the Australian Open and three other titles, while Cibulkova beat the Belarusian for only the second time in nine meetings, not including a walkover in Rome last month.
A host of big names have been knocked out of the women’s draw at Roland Garros, including Agnieszka Radwanska, Serena Williams and Caroline Wozniacki.
Earlier, Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova failed to live up to the standard of her French Open third-round thrashing of Radwanska as she slumped to a straight-sets loss to Italy’s Sara Errani.
Kuznetsova, the 2009 champion at Roland Garros, was routed in the first set but served for the second a 5-4 up before Errani broke back to seal a 6-0, 7-5 win to book her place in the quarterfinals.
For the Italian, it was the second match in a row that she scalped a former French Open champion, after ousting Ana Ivanovic in the third round.
Errani’s opponent at the quarterfinal stage will be German 10th seed Angelique Kerber, who beat Petra Martic of Croatia 6-3, 7-5 in the last 16.
- Kuznetsova to stick with coach despite thrashing - Jun 04, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Radwanska advances at Wimbledon, Penetta knocked out (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Errani beats Stosur to reach French Open final - Jun 07, 2012
- US Open: Radwanska ousted by Vinci - Sep 04, 2012
- Wimbledon: Venus Williams crashes out, Djokovic advances (Second Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- US Open: Murray, Williams reach fourth round - Sep 02, 2012
- US Open, Day 2: Wozniacki out, Djokovic in second round (Roundup) - Aug 29, 2012
- Williams survives scare to beat Shvedova - Jul 02, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Olympics: Bhupathi-Bopanna seeded seventh, Federer top seed - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: ana ivanovic, australian open, belarusian, caroline wozniacki, french open, french open champion, french open tennis, kerber, martic, quarterfinal stage, ria novosti, roland garros, sara errani, serena williams, slovakian, straight sets, svetlana kuznetsova, tiebreak, victoria azarenka, walkover