French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat BerdychJune 4th, 2012 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 4 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Local hero Jo-Wilfried Tsonga finished off Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka when play resumed Monday after their marathon fourth round French Open match was interrupted by nightfall.
The fifth-seeded Frenchman had just managed to see off a fierce comeback from the 18th seed to go 4-2 up in the decider when bad light stopped play Sunday.
Tsonga rounded it off Monday for a final scoreline of 6-4, 7-6 (6), 3-6, 3-6, 6-4 and a quarterfinal match-up with World No.1 Novak Djokovic.
The 27-year-old has won only one round without dropping a set, against Italy’s Fabio Fognini in round three.
Djokovic isn’t at his freshest either after his own five-set slog against Andreas Seppi Sunday.
Spain’s Nicolas Almagro upset Djokovic’s compatriot Janko Tipsarevic earlier to set up a quarterfinal with Argentina’s Juan Monaco or second seed Rafael Nadal. Almagro, the 12th seed, won in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4, 6-4.
Elsewhere, David Ferrer sauntered into the quarterfinals with a 6-3, 6-2, 6-0 win over Spanish compatriot countryman Marcel Granollers in less than two hours.
It was a second-straight thrashing doled out by the sixth-seeded Ferrer, who dismantled Mikhail Youzhny to such an extent that the Russian scrawled the word “sorri” into the clay to apologize to the crowd for his performance in the previous round.
Next up for Ferrer is British fourth seed Andy Murray or local favourite Richard Gasquet, the 17th seed.
Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina got past Croatia’s Tomas Berdych 7-6, 1-6, 6-3, 7-5 in another round of 16 match.
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Murray reaches Wimbledon quarters - Jul 03, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- Djokovic to face Ferrer in Sony Ericsson Open quarters - Mar 28, 2012
- Tsonga edges Raonic in longest Olympic tennis match - Aug 01, 2012
- US Open: Djokovic in second round - Aug 29, 2012
- US Open: Top seeds flare up in second round - Sep 02, 2011
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: andreas seppi, andy murray, compatriot, david ferrer, fabio fognini, janko tipsarevic, jo wilfried tsonga, juan martin del potro, juan monaco, local hero, marcel granollers, mikhail youzhny, nicolas almagro, novak djokovic, rafael nadal, ria novosti, richard gasquet, scoreline, stanislas wawrinka, tomas berdych