French Open: Top seeds advance to third roundMay 31st, 2012 - 9:39 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, May 31 (IANS) Top seeds Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga advanced to the third round with comfortable wins over their opponents at the French Open here Thursday.
Nadal, looking for his seventh French Open title, had the easiest outing of the day, routing Uzbekistan’s Denis Istomin 6-2, 6-2, 6-0.
Second seeded Nadal, aiming to win his 11th Slam, will next play the winner of the match between Florian Mayer and Eduardo Schwank.
The fourth-seeded Murray came back from a set down to beat Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen 1-6, 6-4, 6-1, 6-2.
Murray, who reached the semifinals at Roland Garros last year, is bidding to become the first Briton since Fred Perry in 1936 to win a Grand Slam tournament. He has already lost in three major finals.
To help him get there, Murray hired Ivan Lendl as coach at the start of this season. Lendl lost his first four Grand Slam finals before winning the French Open in 1984.
“We worked on many, many things. There’s not been one radical change,” Murray said. “If you pick sort of 10 small things to work on and change, that can maybe turn into a big difference.”
Fifth seeded Frenchman Tsonga lost the second set but regained hios composure to beat German Cedrik-Marcel Stebe 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. Tsonga will play Italy’s Fabio Fognini, who in a marathon five setter beat 28th seed Viktor Troicki.
Claycourt specialist David Ferrer, a quarter-finalist twice here and the sixth seed, eased past unseeded Frenchman Benoit Paire 6-3, 6-3, 6-2.
- Stosur breaks Australia's heart (Roundup) - Jan 17, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- How Djokovic, Nadal reached French Open final - Jun 09, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- US Open: Tsonga stunned by Slovak Klizan - Aug 31, 2012
- Federer clinches 70th career title at ATP Finals - Nov 28, 2011
- Djokovic, Sharapova coast into Australian Open fourth round (Roundup) - Jan 22, 2012
- Nadal, Soderling cruise into round three of Australian Open - Jan 20, 2011
- French Open: Tsonga finishes off Wawrinka, Del Potro beat Berdych - Jun 04, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Fact file of Novak Djokovic's Grand Slam singles titles - Jan 29, 2012
- Nadal, Djokovic eyeing history in French Open final (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Federer, Tsonga chase history in ATP World Tour Finals - Nov 27, 2011
- US Open: Top four men cruise into semis - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: andy murray, david ferrer, denis istomin, fabio fognini, florian mayer, fred perry, french open title, grand slam finals, grand slam tournament, ivan lendl, jarkko nieminen, jo wilfried tsonga, quarter finalist, radical change, rafael nadal, roland garros, schwank, sixth seed, stebe, viktor troicki