French fail in Brisbane as Mathieu, Gasquet go outJanuary 10th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Brisbane, Jan 10 (DPA) France fell to a double disaster Saturday on the men’s side of the Brisbane International tennis tournament, with both Paul-Henri Mathieu and Richard Gasquet crashing out at the semi-final stage.Third seed Fernando Verdasco, hero of Spain’s Davis Cup final over Argentina in November, dispatched Mathieu 6-2, 6-1, while notoriously irritating Czech Radek Stepanek wore down seventh seed Gasquet 2-6, 6-2, 6-4.
Stepanek displayed his full array of celebratory gestures after almost every winning point to the fatal distraction of Gasquet. The French youngster eventually began turning his head just to avoid seeing the over-the top gesticulations of his 30-year-old opponent.
France have a final chance for success later when 2007 Wimbledon finalist Marion Bartoli meets second seed Victoria Azarenka of Belarus in the women’s final.
Stepanek rallied after losing the first set to Gasquet, who lifted the last four games.
But the veteran’s antics and shotmaking began to take a toll in the second set with two breaks of 23rd-ranked Gasquet.
In the third set, Gasquet’s concentration was broken, with Stepanek advancing into his first final since San Jose last February.
“It’s the first time for this tournament and I’m in the final,” Stepanek said of the event which swallowed the former ATP Adelaide and WTA Gold Coast competitions in a schedule reshuffle.
“I”m trying to mix up my game, since the first match this week I’ve been playing good tennis.
“I worked hard in the off-season, that’s why I’m playing like I am now. It would be really nice to win the title.”
Stepanek has beaten Verdasco both times they have played, in 2004 and 2006.
“He’s been playing great tennis since the Davis Cup,” said the Czech. “And that’s given him confidence. But tomorrow is a different day and I’m looking forward to a good match.”
- Roddick to take on Djokovic at Olympics - Jul 30, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek beat Marrero-Verdasco, meet Bryan brothers in semis - Mar 29, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Federer moves into third round - Jul 30, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Bopanna-Bhupathi in quarters of Madrid Open - May 10, 2012
- Nadal, Li advance to 4th round at French Open - Jun 03, 2012
- Unseeded Kanepi knocks Wozniacki out of Pan Pacific Open - Sep 28, 2011
- Nadal, Murray power through as rain fails to dampen US Open - Sep 04, 2010
- Federer, Soderling move closer to US Open showdown - Sep 05, 2010
- Bhupathi-Bopanna reach semis at Miami - Mar 28, 2012
- US Open: Azarenka, Stosur to meet in quarters - Sep 03, 2012
- Australian Open: Nishikori eliminates Tsonga, Makarova stuns Serena - Jan 23, 2012
- Belgian rivals set up fourth-round showdown, Isner crashes - Jun 26, 2010
- Australian Open: Djokovic marches on; Roddick retires (Roundup) - Jan 19, 2012
- Paes-Stepanek shock Bryan brothers; lift Australian Open men's doubles title (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: atp adelaide, brisbane international, double disaster, fatal distraction, fernando verdasco, international tennis tournament, marion bartoli, paul henri mathieu, radek stepanek, victoria azarenka