Freak solar storm could hit London OlympicsJanuary 7th, 2011 - 3:57 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 7 (IANS) With 9.3 billion pounds sitting on the 2012 London Olympics, organisers have every reason to worry that a peak solar storm could hit the event.The solar flare could disrupt power supply, damage communication satellites and force planes to divert.
The games’ organisers have admitted to monitoring the situation carefully after the met office warned that the next solar storm may occur during the Games, the Daily Mail reported.
The met office said it could cause a national grid failure up to 12 hours and damage 30 percent of satellites, disrupting communications, earth observation facilities and position navigation and timing services including GPS.
A weather expert said: “Extreme space weather events typically occur at the solar maximum, which itself follows a roughly 11-year cycle.
“The next solar maximum is expected around 2012-13 - potentially coinciding with the London Olympic Games.”
The most powerful solar storm to hit earth was the 1859 Carrington event, which was blamed for telegraph systems failing in North America and Europe.
- Sun's 'killer flare' won't end earth in 2012: NASA - Nov 13, 2011
- Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs' - Aug 26, 2010
- NASA Warns Solar Storms of 2012 Can Shut Down US for Months! - Aug 17, 2010
- Powerful solar flare disrupts ground communications on Earth - Feb 19, 2011
- Solar flare to 'paralyse Earth' in just 3 years' time - Sep 21, 2010
- Solar Storm Warning Issued By NASA Scientists - Jun 25, 2010
- Solar storm gains strength - Mar 10, 2012
- Scientist urges 'to take risk of a global Katrina seriously' - Feb 28, 2011
- Powerful solar storm disrupts communications - Feb 20, 2011
- Solar flare to hit Earth - Mar 08, 2012
- Solar Storm In 2012 Predicted By NASA Scientists - Aug 17, 2010
- Solar Tsunami From The Sun Likely To Hit Earth? - Aug 04, 2010
- Solar Storm In 2012 : Reports NASA - Aug 17, 2010
- NASA captures solar flare on video - Jun 09, 2011
- NASA: Solar storm in 2012 could cause havoc on Earth - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: 2012 london olympics, carrington, communication satellites, daily mail, earth observation, extreme space, grid failure, jan 7, london jan, national grid, observation facilities, olympic games, position navigation, power supply, solar flare, solar maximum, solar storm, space weather events, telegraph systems, weather expert