Frank Bruno slapped with six-month driving ban for over speedingJanuary 8th, 2009 - 5:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, January 8 (ANI): Boxing champ Frank Bruno has been banned from driving for six months for racing through a town at nearly twice the speed limit.
The English veteran, who had dominated 40 of his 45 contests, had been caught on camera while he stepped on the gas hitting the 53mph mark in the 30mph zone.
The 47-year-old, who has had a series of driving convictions, alleged not seeing any signs saying 30mph as he drove his 100,000 pound Rolls-Royce, adding that the May 2008 incident had been an honest mistake.
His lawyer Gary Bromelow argued that his client was unable to see the streetlights or speed signs since they were masked by a row of trees, reports the Daily Express.
The Milton Keynes Magistrates Court further heard that a driving ban would make it impossible for the ex heavyweight champion to pay a visit to his kids, living 60 miles away, or attend any charity events.
However, chairman of the bench Martyn Griffiths told Bruno: You are a man of sufficient means to employ a driver or take taxis.
The celebrity was slapped with a six-month driving ban, along with a 400-pound fine.
He was also ordered to pay 455 pounds as legal costs and a 15-pound surcharge after pleading guilty at a previous hearing. (ANI)
- Defoe pleads guilty over speeding charge - Jan 05, 2010
- Indian Maharajah's Rolls-Royce up for sale at 850,000 pounds - Apr 12, 2011
- Boxer Bruno escapes driving ban after breaking speed limit - Aug 16, 2010
- Cole faces driving ban for speeding at 105 mph - Aug 19, 2010
- Katie Price gets 6-month driving ban for speeding - Dec 02, 2010
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
- Vettel may leave Red Bull if it fails to deliver F1 championship-defending car - Mar 22, 2011
- Concorde may take dramatic fly-past during London's 2012 Olympics - Jul 25, 2010
- Udaipur's vintage Rolls-Royce wins US trophy (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- Defoe saved from the slammer for speeding - Jan 08, 2010
- Headwear changing Indian conman took hefty fee to fool UK driving test examiners - Aug 13, 2010
- Kate Middleton gets Jaguar fleet for wedding ceremony - Mar 20, 2011
- Speeding Defoe fined nearly 1,000 pounds - Aug 05, 2009
- Colin Farrell fined for speeding in Bath - Feb 20, 2010
- Winehouse to appear in court on assault charges - Dec 25, 2009
Tags: bench, boxing champ, charity events, daily express, driving ban, driving convictions, frank bruno, heavyweight champion, honest mistake, magistrates, milton keynes, pound rolls, rolls royce, six months, speed limit, speed signs, streetlights, surcharge, taxis, veteran