France’s Muffat grabs 400m freestyle goldJuly 30th, 2012 - 2:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 30 (IANS) Camille Muffat of France held off a strong challenge from Allison Schmitt to win the Olympic 400 metres women’s freestyle gold Sunday.
Muffat, a 2011 world bronze medallist, managed to fend off the American in the final 50 metres to win in 4 minutes, 1.45 seconds, an Olympic record.
“I’m relieved and happy,” Moffat said. “I haven’t thought about all the work, I was thinking about the other swimmers and my family.”
“Being an Olympic champion was the most difficult dream to reach. I knew this year I was the best, but I didn’t expect to win.”
Beijing bronze medallist Schmitt was 0.34 seconds behind, with Britain’s Rebecca Adlington, 2008 gold medallist in both the 200 metres and 400 metres freestyle, claiming the bronze.
“I did not expect a medal,” Adlington said. “It’s a really tough race. The only disappointment is with the time.”
World record holder Frederica Pellegrini of Italy was fifth.
- Schmitt wins women's 200m freestyle - Aug 01, 2012
- Olympics: US teen prodigy claims gold in 800m freestyle - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Schmitt steers US to 4x200m freestyle relay gold - Aug 02, 2012
- Rebecca Adlington seeks gold on her CWG debut - Oct 02, 2010
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- List of American swimmers for London Games - Jul 03, 2012
- Phelps books 200m fly Olympic berth - Jun 29, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Pleasantly surprised Adlington hoping to nail England's first CWG medal - Oct 04, 2010
- Olympic swimming: Manaudou takes 50m freestyle gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Five Paralympic golds leave Savchenko incredulous - Sep 08, 2012
- Olympic swimming: Jiao wins 200m butterfly for China - Aug 02, 2012
- Swimming sensation Franklin brings hope to Aurora - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Lithuania bags historic gold in swimming - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: allison, beijing, bs, camille, disappointment, gold medallist, grabs, italy, london, moffat, olympic champion, olympic record, pellegrini, rebecca, ria novosti, swimmers, time world, world record holder