France, England draw their Euro 2012 openerJune 12th, 2012 - 1:19 am ICT by IANS
Donetsk (Ukraine), June 11 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Goals from two Manchester City players saw England and France share the points in a 1-1 draw in their Euro 2012 Group D opener here Monday.
English defender Joleon Lescott stretched to head in Steven Gerrard’s free kick to open the scoring on the half-hour mark.
France midfielder Samir Nasri levelled the score nine minutes later, lashing the ball under an unsighted Joe Hart at his near post from the edge of the box.
France were clearly the more aggressive of the two sides, dominating the ball’s possession. The French made all the plays in the second half with England defending deep in their own half.
Ukraine play Sweden in the group’s other game later.
- France played much better than England, says Evra - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Euro 2012: Blanc hails Germany as role model for France - Jun 15, 2012
- Euro 2012: England win over Ukraine - Jun 20, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine - Jun 16, 2012
- Nasri abuses French journalist - Jun 24, 2012
- Time running out for England's Golden Generation: Hodgson - Jun 16, 2012
- Shevchenko hands Ukraine dream start at Euro 2012 - Jun 12, 2012
- Euro 2012: Menez and Cabaye on target as France dominate Ukraine (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Set pieces crucial to beating England: Shevchenko - Jun 16, 2012
- England announce 23-man squad for Euro Championship - May 16, 2012
- Man-U stint crucial against England: Blanc - Jun 11, 2012
- Ukraine impatient to start Euro campaign: Coach - Jun 11, 2012
- Ukraine's Khacheridi doubtful for England qualifier - Sep 09, 2012
- Euro 2012: France get quarterfinal with 2-0 Sweden loss - Jun 20, 2012