France coach Blanc to suspends entire World Cup squadJuly 23rd, 2010 - 11:16 pm ICT by BNO News
PARIS (BNO NEWS) — The France national football team’s newly appointed coach, Laurent Blanc, on Friday spoke with the country’s football federation to request that none of the players who participated in the 2010 FIFA World Cup be called up for their upcoming match against Norway, the French Football Federation (FFF) said.
Blanc, who was part of the 1998 French national team that won the World Cup, is replacing Raymond Domenech. He presented his staff and sporting project to the Federal Council Friday, as they look to turn things around after a disastrous participation in South Africa.
Les Bleus were unable to win any of their World Cup matches last June, drawing with Uruguay and losing to Mexico and South Africa. In addition, the team decided to strike and failed to practice after Domenech expelled international striker Nicolas Anelka from the team, following heavy arguments with the former coach.
The star-studded team was the subject of strong criticism from the FFF and media around the world.
The council agreed with Blanc, and none of the 23 players will be called on to play in their friendly match against Norway, which is scheduled for August 11 in Oslo. Blanc said he will reveal the list of players selected for the match on August 5.
- New France coach suspends World Cup side for Norway friendly - Jul 23, 2010
- Deschamps is new France coach - Jul 09, 2012
- France coach Laurent Blanc resigns - Jul 01, 2012
- France putting past behind them (Group A team profile) - May 26, 2010
- France seek World Cup redemption after Henry handball - Jun 10, 2010
- French woes escalate as players boycott training - Jun 20, 2010
- French press scathing of Les Bleus' World Cup performance - Jun 23, 2010
- Domenech heads Kenya's list for foreign football coach - Aug 17, 2012
- French team gifted sex toys to boost their World Cup scoring motivation! - Jun 12, 2010
- Evra's coup gets French WAGS to attend World Cup opener against Uruguay - Jun 11, 2010
- French football federation head resigns after World Cup fiasco - Jun 28, 2010
- French players give up World Cup bonuses worth 2.5 million pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Nasri excluded from French team over Euro fiasco - Jul 28, 2012
- Mexico and Uruguay poised to advance from Group A - Jun 21, 2010
- Didier Deschamps quits Marseille - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: august 11, bno, entire world, fff, fifa world cup, former coach, france coach, france national football team, french football federation, french national team, friendly match, laurent blanc, les bleus, national football team, nicolas anelka, oslo, raymond domenech, star studded, striker, world cup squad