Foxtel cancels contract with ex-Olympian swimmer ThorpeApril 28th, 2009 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Apr.28 (ANI): Ex-Olympian swimmer Ian Thorpe’s contract with Foxtel is finished and will not be renewed.
According to insiders, Thorpe’s lucrative million-dollar television contract was terminated as he had lost interest in his once-promising media career.
Media sources yesterday claimed Thorpe had in recent times become a reluctant participant in the Foxtel relationship as he focuses increasingly on his university study and the years lost to schooling while in the pool.
“Foxtel can confirm its marketing agreement with Ian Thorpe has concluded,” a spokesman said yesterday.
“We are in discussions with Ian and his management about future projects, including some related to Foxtel’s 2010 Commonwealth Games, the 2010 Winter Olympics and the London Olympics in 2012. Those associations will be on a project-by-project basis,” News.com.au quoted the spokesman, as saying.
Thorpe was signed to a four-year contract at Foxtel - said to have been worth a million dollars in 2005 after being brazenly poached from Channel 7.
At the height of his fame, Thorpe talked openly of his plans to launch his international television career and opened up about his ambitions to produce a television drama.
He subsequently became one of the faces of Foxtel along with Hugh Jackman, but a much-hyped lifestyle show never eventuated, nor did Thorpe ever get around to producing.
His manager, David Flaskas, last night confirmed Thorpe had recently taken on more courses at university and might not finish his studies until 2012. (ANI)
- Thorpe must decide soon on international swimming comeback plans: Coach - Feb 01, 2011
- 'Oz Olympic champ Thorpe undergoing training, comeback possible' - Jan 09, 2011
- Thorpe's Olympics bid fails at Australian trials - Mar 18, 2012
- Oz swimmer Ian Thorpe may announce London Olympics ambitions soon - Jan 30, 2011
- Thorpe's swimming future announcement on Wednesday - Feb 01, 2011
- Concern for spectators' skin care at Olympics (London diary) - Jul 29, 2012
- Thorpe's comeback announcement praised and panned on Twitter - Feb 02, 2011
- Oz sprint coach says Thorpe must shed kilos for Olympics comeback - Feb 04, 2011
- British athletes' fathers feature as torch bearers - Jan 11, 2012
- Ian Thorpe set to make his comeback in self-produced TV show - Sep 02, 2010
- Hockey camp to focus on fitness, strength: Nobbs - Mar 12, 2012
- Thorpe says he has no plans for competitive swimming again - May 03, 2010
- Australia's Thorpe eyes London Olympics comeback - May 03, 2010
- Hoogenband says 'special athlete' Thorpe can win another gold in London - Feb 08, 2011
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
Tags: 2010 commonwealth games, 2010 winter olympics, ambitions, channel 7, foxtel, hugh jackman, ian thorpe, insiders, international television, london olympics, media career, media sources, news com au, project basis, reluctant participant, swimmer thorpe, television career, television contract, television drama, winter olympics