Four Vasco da Gama players banned for brawlApril 19th, 2012 - 5:45 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 19 (IANS) Four Vasco da Gama players have been given a combined 28-match ban for their part in a wild post-match brawl earlier this month.
Eduardo Costa and Rodolfo were each handed eight-game suspensions while Fellipe Bastos and Fagner were banned for six matches each by a Rio sports tribunal.
The brawl occurred after Vasco lost 2-1 to bitter rival Flamengo following a controversial late penalty awarded to Ronaldinho.
Furious Vasco players responded by mobbing referee Wagner dos Santos Rosa, who was secured by armed police to prevent a physical attack.
Vasco said it would appeal the decision so that the players could be available for Sunday’s rematch with Flamengo in the Rio Cup semifinals.
In addition to the suspensions, Vasco were fined $50,000 for the behaviour of their fans, who removed plastic seats from the stands and threw them onto Engenhao stadium pitch.
The club’s executive director Daniel Freitas was suspended for 30 days while president Roberto Dinamite was warned for inciting crowd violence.
- Ronaldinho scores to give Flamengo 2-1 victory - Apr 08, 2012
- One dead in Brazil soccer violence - Aug 20, 2012
- Botafogo beat rivals Vasco da Gama 3-1 - Mar 19, 2012
- Seedorf fears Rio fan violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro return to top of Brazil's Serie A - Aug 10, 2012
- Internacional's Fabricio and Datolo deny Flamengo victory - May 27, 2012
- Souza strikes to secure victory for Vasco da Gama - Apr 13, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico falters, Vasco stays top - Jun 18, 2012
- Ronaldinho rediscovers magic in debut for new club - Jun 10, 2012
- Felipe brace sends Vasco da Gama into Rio Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Bastos double lifts Vasco to top of group - Apr 04, 2012
- Fluminense captures 2012 Guanabara Cup title - Feb 27, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores first goal for Atletico Mineiro - Jun 24, 2012
- Vasco coach Borges quits after shock loss - Sep 11, 2012
- Juninho leads Vasco da Gama to victory - Apr 01, 2012
Tags: armed police, bastos, crowd, cup semifinals, executive director, flamengo, freitas, game, match, pitch, referee, rio de janeiro, roberto dinamite, ronaldinho, Sports, suspensions, tribunal, vasco da gama, violence, wagner