Four-time world rally champion sets new car world speed record on ice at 330.695 km/hFebruary 16th, 2011 - 5:05 pm ICT by ANI
Oulu (Finland), Feb 16(ANI): Juha Kankkunen, four-time world rally champion, drove a Bentley Continental Supersports convertible on the frozen waters of the Baltic Sea at 330.695 kilometers per hour (205.48 miles per hour) to set a new world speed record on ice.
The world’s fastest soft-top enabled Kankkunen to break his own 2007 world ice speed record of 321.6 kilometers per hour (199.83 mph per hour) set in the Continental GT at the same location, Fox News reports.
The record-setting Supersports was powered by a 6.0-liter, 12-cylinder engine similar to the 621-horsepower version found in the 280,000 pounds showroom version of the car.
Kankkunen needed to maintain the record speed through a timing zone, and then stop within the confines of a 16.5 kilometre track.
His new world record was based on the average of two runs in opposite directions with measured speeds ratified by a representative of The Guinness Book of Records.
Meanwhile, Bentley announced that it would celebrate the achievement by introducing a special edition of the Continental at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show on March 1.
The company said that the “extreme” Bentley will be limited to 100 copies and be the most powerful model it has ever made. (ANI)
- Bentley launches two-seater coupe at Rs.2.25 crore - May 13, 2010
- By 2050, high speed trains will run at 500kmph: Experts - Dec 10, 2010
- Bugatti Veyron declared world's fastest car at 268 m per hour - Jul 07, 2010
- China operating world's longest high high-speed railway network - Dec 07, 2010
- Bentley designs James Bond book 'Carte Blanche' for $1,650 - May 02, 2011
- Indian Army soldier sets power hang gliding record - Feb 17, 2012
- China's high-speed train sets new world record - Sep 29, 2010
- Bullet trains to run slow on Beijing-Shanghai route - Apr 21, 2011
- Apple becomes most valuable company in history - Aug 21, 2012
- Arctic sea ice level reaches second-lowest in history - Oct 06, 2011
- World's fastest toilet on wheels - May 05, 2012
- Chinese train breaks speed record - Dec 03, 2010
- China working to run trains at over 500 km/hour - Oct 19, 2010
- China to build world's fastest 510-km-long intercity high-speed rail line - Nov 02, 2010
- Britain may go in for China's high-speed bullet trains - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: baltic sea, bentley continental, car world, confines, cylinder engine, fox news, frozen waters, geneva auto show, guinness book of records, horsepower version, juha, kilometers per hour, miles per hour, new world record, oulu finland, record speed, time world, world ice, world rally champion, world speed record