Fossils Indicate Velociraptor Scavenging On A DinosaurApril 20th, 2010 - 9:03 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Apr 20, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In what is being perceived as a major evidence suggesting that predatory dinosaurs hunted their plant eating counterparts, scientists have revealed that the predator Velociraptor has been caught eating the flesh of a plant eating dinosaur. Palaeontologists have discovered the fossil fragments of a dinosaur Protoceratops, which is known to be a herbivore and have found the teeth marks of the predator dinosaur in the plant eating animal’s bones.
Scientists have validated that the teeth of Velociraptor matches with the teeth marks that have been discovered in the herbivore dinosaur’s bones which points out the fact that the predator dinosaur feed on their herbivorous relatives. The fossils that have enabled the scientists to reach the conclusion was unearthed in the year 2008 in Inner Magnolia in the country of China. The fossils comprise of bones of Protoceratops along with the teeth of some other dinosaur which is being speculated to be that of the predatory animal. At the same time, scientists have also stated that the manner in which the bite marks are present in the neck of the herbivorous animal suggest that the predator did not kill the animal but only scavenged on its flesh.
While revealing details about the condition in which the fossil was found, paleontologist David Hone associated with the Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology in Beijing, China has said that when the fossils were found, they were in an eroded condition and added that if it could be found few months earlier then the specimen would have been in a state to shed more light in the matter.
- Velociraptor caught in the act of eating another dinosaur - Apr 20, 2010
- Researchers Elated By Discovery Of New Predatory Dinosaur In Romania - Aug 31, 2010
- Fossil of new dinosaur species found in China - Oct 10, 2010
- Scientist unravels secret of T.rex's fearsome snarl - Mar 19, 2012
- Fossils of bird-like dinosaurs discovered in Australia - May 18, 2012
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Scientists identify long lost cousin of T. rex in China - Apr 01, 2011
- Geologists Discover New Predatory Dinosaur In Romania - Aug 31, 2010
- 'Saber-toothed' vegetarian prowled Brazil 260 million years ago - Mar 25, 2011
- Jagged teeth lent cutting edge to T. Rex ferocity - Feb 29, 2012
- New fossil material reveals Azendohsaurus as an early reptile, not a dinosaur - May 19, 2010
- Fossil discovery of new strong-handed dinosaur to change past notions - Oct 08, 2010
- Sharks were once small, harmless fish - Sep 12, 2011
- Europe's biggest dinosaur skull found in Spain - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: beijing china, counterparts, dinosaur, evidence suggesting that, fossil fragments, fossils, gina gomez, herbivore, hone, magnolia, paleoanthropology, predator, predatory animal, predatory dinosaurs, protoceratops, specimen, teeth marks, time scientists, velociraptor, vertebrate paleontology