Fornalik is new Poland football coachJuly 11th, 2012 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, July 11 (IANS) The Polish Football Association (PFA) Tuesday named Waldemar Fornalik as new national team manager, tasking him with restoring national pride following Poland’s first-round exit from Euro 2012.
Fornalik’s first task will be rebuilding the Polish team for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers. He replaces Franciszek Smuda, who quit after his squad crashed out of the Euro 2012, which Poland co-hosted with Ukraine, Xinhua reports.
“Of course it’s a big honour to be in charge of the national team,” Fornalik told at press conference. “It is a big challenge and a big responsibility because I know how big the expectations of Poland fans are.”
Fornalik was named the coach after a vote by the PFA board. He received 11 votes, beating two other contenders. Jerzy Engel, who coached the national team in the 2002 World Cup, received three votes, while Jacek Zielinski, Smuda’s assistant, received none.
PFA chief Grzegorz Lato said: “I think Fornalik is one of the most talented Polish coaches and I hope he will do a great job for the national team.”
Fornalik has coached Ruch Chorzow for the past three years, leading it to second place in the Polish Cup last season.
In the 1980s and early 1990s he played for Ruch in the Polish league as a defender. He has also coached other Polish clubs including Gornik Zabrze, Amica Wronki and Widzew Lodz.
In the World Cup qualifiers, Poland face England, Ukraine, Moldova and San Marino in European Group H.
- Poland coach urges calm before crucial Euro opener - Jun 08, 2012
- Euro exit bitter pill to swallow: Poland's outgoing coach - Jun 17, 2012
- Tango 12 named official ball of Euro 2012 - Nov 30, 2011
- Polish cops to assist in Ukraine during Euro 2012 - Mar 14, 2012
- Ban on smoking and tobacco ads at Euro 2012 - Oct 21, 2011
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat not to make changes for Poland - Jun 12, 2012
- Poland sacks Euro 2012 main stadium overseer - Feb 15, 2012
- Ukraine goalkeeper crisis deepens ahead of Euro 2012 - May 03, 2012
- Ready for Euro 2012: Polish PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Security preparations for Euro 2012 in final phase: Polish official - Dec 07, 2011
- UEFA hails Ukraine, Poland Euro 2012 success - Jun 19, 2012
- UEFA chief praises Ukraine for Euro 2012 success - Aug 28, 2012
- Poland claims it is well prepared for Euro 2012 - May 09, 2012
- Russia name Capello as new national coach - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: amica wronki, contenders, euro 2012, european group, face england, football association, football coach, grzegorz lato, lodz, national pride, pfa, polish clubs, polish football, polish team, ruch chorzow, smuda, warsaw, world cup qualifiers, xinhua, zielinski