Former world champion banned from Tour de FranceJune 19th, 2009 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Paris, June 19 (DPA) Organisers of the Tour de France have said they would not allow 2005 world road race champion Tom Boonen to take part in this year’s race because he tested positive for cocaine.
“Tom Boonen’s image and behaviour are incompatible with the image of the Tour de France,” the Amaury Sports Orgainzation said Thursday in a statement issued in Paris.
The 28-year-old Boonen, a Belgian who rides for the Quick Step team, is considered one of the strongest sprinters in the world. In April this year, he tested positive for cocaine for the second time in one year in an out-of-competition doping test.
The doping test was administered two weeks after Boonen won the prestigious Paris-Roubaix one-day road race for the third time.
Cocaine is not considered a performance-enhancing drug by cycling authorities and suspension is not automatic after a positive test.
But Boonen was also barred from the Tour de France last year after he tested positive for cocaine.
- Cycling champion Boonen suspended after positive cocaine test - May 09, 2009
- Second stage of Tour de France gets underway - Jul 05, 2009
- Swiss cyclist Cancellara laughs off claims of winning races with electric bike - Jun 03, 2010
- Bicycles To Undergo Checks At Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- UCI to check for electric motors in bicycles at the Tour de France - Jun 24, 2010
- Sports tribunal suspends Spanish cyclist - Feb 07, 2012
- ICU To Scrutinize Electric Bicycles At The Tour De France - Jun 24, 2010
- Armstrong again faces doping charges - Jun 14, 2012
- Lance Armstrong's New Zealand holiday - Jan 30, 2011
- Olympics: Gilbert eyes medal to end disappointing season - Jul 27, 2012
- Armstrong 'pushed us towards' banned boosting agent EPO: Ex-teammate - Jan 19, 2011
- Five fresh doping cases in athletics, IOA orders probe (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Olympic cycling champion Sanchez crashes out of Tour, Olympics - Jul 08, 2012
- 'Armstrong may become symbol for decades of corruption in professional cycling' - Jan 23, 2011
- Contador may face formal doping probe - Nov 10, 2010