Former world boxing champion Wright retiresJune 6th, 2012 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 6 (IANS) Former light-middle weight world boxing champion Ronald “Winky” Wright of the US has announced his retirement.
“Part of being a boxer is knowing when to call it quits,” Wright, who had to accept three losses in a row recently, was quoted as saying by Xinhua Tuesday. “It’s time for me.”
“I did what I set out to do and that was to be great and become a world champion,” Wright said. “I have a lot of great memories from my career and will still support this great sport.”
The 40-year-old finished 51-6 with one draw and 25 knockouts after losing his final bout last Saturday.
Wright’s final world title bout came in 2006 when he fought Jermain Taylor to a 12-round draw in a fight for the World Boxing Council middleweight crown. His last victory came over Ghana’s Ike Quartey in 2006, ending Quartey’s career.
- Madan Lal wins bronze in Benazir Bhutto boxing - Dec 29, 2011
- Saul Alvarez Defeats Lovemore Ndou - Dec 05, 2010
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Carl Froch Ruben admits to prolonging a title fight - Feb 20, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom punches her way into quarters (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Mary Kom wins gold at ASBC Asian Cup - May 09, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom goes down fighting, takes bronze (Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Mary Kom to spearhead Indian challenge in Asian Cup - May 04, 2011
- Indians will be proud of Mary Kom, says husband - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Britain's Adams wins first women's gold - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: boxer, final bout, ghana, great memories, great sport, ike quartey, knockouts, last saturday, losses, middleweight, retirement, ronald winky wright, victory, world boxing council, world champion, world title bout, xinhua