Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF GamesJuly 12th, 2012 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 12 (IANS) Sri Lankan authorities have picked eight former Tamil Tigers in the national squad, and some of them will take part in the South Asian Federation (SAF) Games in Delhi next year.
Harsha Abeykone, the sports ministry media secretary, told Xinhua that these include four shooters, two cricketers and a karate player.
A man disabled during the ethnic conflict has been selected to represent Sri Lanka in shooting at the next Paralympics.
“The selections were done in June from among 131 rebels rehabilitated in different camps,” Abeykone said, referring to former members of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
The shooters had been in the sniper units of Tamil Tigers who fought for a separate homeland until they were crushed in 2009.
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Probe rights abuses, CPI-M tells Colombo - Aug 07, 2011
- Sri Lanka to free 1,200 former rebels - Sep 19, 2011
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- Colombo, Tamil diaspora flayed in UN report - Apr 27, 2011
- Colombo treating us like 'aborigines', Tamils tell India - Jun 13, 2011
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Prabhakaran to blame for LTTE's demise, says Karuna - Dec 14, 2010
- Only Colombo can resolve Tamil problems: Malaysian MPs - Nov 29, 2011
- India for probe into rights abuses in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Solheim to visit Sri Lanka -- to mend fences - Oct 18, 2010
- Sri Lanka releases 100 LTTE rebels held in military-run camps - Dec 26, 2010
Tags: asian federation, cricketers, ethnic conflict, former members, harsha, karate, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, media secretary, paralympics, rebels, saf games, shooters, sniper, south asian, sports ministry, sri lanka, sri lankan authorities, tamil tigers, xinhua