Former Sri Lankan cricketer slams premier league criticsAugust 31st, 2012 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Aug 31 (IANS) Former leading Sri Lankan cricketer and cricket selector Aravinda De Silva Friday slammed critics of the Sri Lankan Premier League (SLPL) Twenty20 cricket tournament, insisting that the event had met its expectations.
De Silva told reporters at a media briefing that the main focus of the SLPL, a cricket tournament which featured local and foreign players together in seven teams, was to nurture young Sri Lankan cricketers, reports Xinhua.
De Silva, who is a mentor for one of the team, Uva Next, said that he was keen to see a tournament like the SLPL being held in Sri Lanka and his dream came true when the cricket board managed to organize the event.
“Leave aside political issues. I always wanted the youth of this country to benefit from the game. SLPL will help the youth of Sri Lanka,” De Silva said.
Dilshan Munaweera and Akila Dhanajaya, two young players who performed well in the Sri Lanka Premier League, were picked to play for Sri Lanka in the Twenty20 World Cup.
The SLPL was criticized even before the tournament got off the ground and, with the final scheduled to take place Friday, critics have questioned if the tournament had met its goals.
One of the major concerns was the inability of the SLPL to draw crowds similar to that seen in the more popular Indian Premier League (IPL).
However, De Silva said supporters were brought from India for some teams and he revealed that for Uva Next some 150 Indian fans had flown down.
De Silva was instrumental in securing the support of the Mahindra Group, India’s leading SUV manufacturer, to come in as the title sponsor of the SLPL.
S.P. Shukla, Chief Brand Officer of the Mahindra Group, said at the same media briefing that his company was happy to have been involved with the SLPL.
However, he refused to say if his company will be involved in the next edition of the SLPL.
- Sri Lanka to boost domestic cricket - Sep 03, 2012
- Mahindra to sponsor Sri Lanka Premier League - Aug 08, 2012
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket board assures integrity of SLPL - Jul 21, 2012
- Sri Lanka seeks foreign players for T20 League - May 09, 2012
- Sri Lanka Premier League to begin July 19 - May 12, 2011
- Cricket Australia likely to send their players to SLPL - Jun 21, 2011
- Afridi to play in inaugural Sri Lanka Premier League - May 11, 2011
- 'Twenty20 league owned by Sri Lankan board, not private body' - Jun 19, 2011
- SLC provides ICC with cricket corruption tapes - Aug 13, 2012
- 12 Indians sign up for Sri Lankan Premier League - May 16, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Gibbs to feature in Sri Lanka Premier League - May 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka T20 League attracts bids over $30 mn - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: akila, aravinda de silva, cricket board, cricket tournament, cricketer, crowds, group india, indian fans, ipl, mahindra group, mentor, premier league, slams, slpl, sri lanka, sri lankan cricketers, title sponsor, twenty20 cricket, twenty20 world cup, xinhua