Former Pak greats blast ‘rusty’ Mohammad Asif’s selectionAugust 26th, 2009 - 2:35 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Aug.26 (ANI): Several former Pakistani cricketers have raised questions over the selection of fast bowler Mohammad Asif in the national squad for the ICC Champions Trophy.
Former fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz criticised the selection committee for Asif’s selection, saying the tainted bowler should not be included in the 15 member squad as he has not participated in any international event for the last 18 months.
“He (Asif) has not been allowed by ICC to attend the Pakistan’s cricket team’s conditioning camp ahead of Champions Trophy as his ban ends on 22nd September. I ask what was the reason they took the decision to indulge Asif for such an important event. He should have been picked to play other low-profile series and if he would have performed, then he could be selected for an important event as this one,” Nawaz said.
Former leg-spinner and chief selector Abdul Qadir termed Asif’s selection as a ‘bad decision’ and said the pacer was unlikely to give his 100 percent in South Africa.
Qadir also condemned the decision to drop all rounder Abdul Razzaq from the team.
“Razzaq did well in the ICC World Twenty20 championship in England and could have been very useful in South Africa,” The News quoted Qadir, as saying.
He questioned the selection committee’s theory behind selecting only one specialist batsman, Imran Nazir, for the mega event, and said Salman Butt should also have been included in the team.
“Salman Butt is such an experienced guy with more one-day centuries than captain Younis Khan. He should have been in the team,” Qadir said.
Former captain Zaheer Abbas said the selection committee may have just rushed Asif into the national team.
However, coach Intikhab Alam has rejected all allegations regarding Asif’s selection.
“No I don’t think Asif’s selection is a gamble because he is in good shape and working hard to be 100 percent fit for the big tournament,” he said. (ANI)
- Dope-tainted Asif's selection a talking point in Pak cricket - Aug 25, 2009
- Qadir criticizes selection committee for dropping Razzaq, Butt - Aug 27, 2009
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Former Pakistan players hail selection of Younis, Malik - May 26, 2010
- Ex-Pak cricketers hail Akhtar, Malik's inclusion in Asia Cup squad - Jun 04, 2010
- Suspended Pak trio should approach CAS to get spot-fixing clean chit: Sarfraz Nawaz - Nov 04, 2010
- ICC ban on tainted trio will damage Pak cricket: Ex-players - Feb 06, 2011
- Afridi in, Malik out of PCB's squad for T20 World Cup - Mar 13, 2010
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- PCB won't challenge ICC Tribunal's bans imposed on Pak tainted trio, says Butt - Feb 06, 2011
- Kamran, Naved in 30-man preliminary Pak World Cup squad - Jan 05, 2011
- I will give tips apart from batting also: Miandad - Aug 22, 2009
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- Pak call up Shafiq, Irfan to replace suspended trio for England ODI series - Sep 04, 2010
- Pakistan announce World Cup squad without a captain - Jan 18, 2011
Tags: 22nd september, abdul razzaq, bad decision, cricket team, good shape, icc champions trophy, icc world twenty20, important event, intikhab alam, low profile, member squad, mohammad asif, nawaz, nazir, pacer, pakistani cricketers, profile series, selection committee, younis khan, zaheer abbas