Former Pak cricket players annoyed by dead Karachi pitch (Re-issue)February 27th, 2009 - 1:06 pm ICT by ANI
Former captain Wasim Akram, while referring to the low attendance of people at the Karachi National Stadium during the first Test, said that such flat wickets where there was absolutely no support for the bowlers were damaging for the longer version of the game as people do not turn-up to see one-sided batsman friendly games.
Its a mystery to me why after 14 months of not playing Test cricket, such type of a wicket was made, The Daily Times quoted Akram, as saying.
Akram recommended that the views of captain of the national squad must be taken into consideration before preparing the wicket.
I think the captains involvement should be there in the preparation of the wicket. I hope that such type of wicket is not made in future. We want teams to come to Pakistan and people of Pakistan should support their team but with such type of wickets it gets a bit difficult, he added.
Another former skipper Ramiz Raja also lashed out at the authorities for preparing a dead track where more than 1500 runs were scored and only 18 wickets fell.
We have to make a clear strategy on what type of wickets we should make for the home series. Captain, coach, curator and selection committee should all be consulted, Raja said.
He suggested introducing drop-in pitches like the ones used in Australia and New Zealand to make the game more interesting and result oriented, and increase peoples interest. (ANI)
- Former Pak cricket players annoyed by 'dead' Karachi pitch - Feb 26, 2009
- Former Pak captains blast PCB for poor management during England tour - Oct 02, 2010
- Wasim Akram lashes out at Shahid Afridi - Sep 23, 2011
- Shoaib is trying to sell his book by making sensational claims: Akram - Sep 24, 2011
- Sehwag will inject some life in Indian team: Akram - Jan 23, 2012
- I hope BCCI's inquiry is not a one-sided investigation: Akram - Aug 17, 2011
- Jadeja putting pressure on Pathan: Akram - Oct 22, 2011
- McDermott hailed for turning around Australian pace attack - Dec 29, 2011
- It's good India, Pakistan are meeting at highest level again: Afridi - Apr 12, 2011
- Dravid's recall exposes India's brittle batting order: Akram - Aug 07, 2011
- Replace Harbhajan with Mishra: Akram - Jul 27, 2011
- Pakistan's World Cup preparations "not up to the mark": Wasim Akram - Dec 17, 2010
- Pakistan looking to blood youngsters in T20 team - Jul 18, 2011
- Indo-Pak World Cup semi-final clash will "charge up" Pakistani players: Ramiz Raja - Mar 25, 2011
- West Indies cricket stands to lose by not picking Gayle: Akram - Jun 19, 2011
Tags: australia and new zealand, authorities, bowlers, captain wasim akram, cricket players, curator, first test, friendly games, low attendance, mystery, pak cricket, pakistan, pitch, pitches, raja, selection committee, skipper, test cricket, wicket, wickets