Former Oz bowlers want CA rooting for Lee, Tait to be given a bowlMay 2nd, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, May 2 (ANI): Former Australian fast bowlers Jason Gillespie and Michael Kasprowicz want their cricket board to not be over-cautious, and allow Shaun Tait and Brett Lee to play.
Lee was scheduled to return from a four-month absence due to dual foot operations in Thursday’s Twenty20 clash against Pakistan in Dubai. The 31-year-old pacer is desperate for immediate match-conditioning to press for Ashes selection.
Tait, 26, has this week been striving to convince Cricket Australia physio Alex Kountouris that he has recovered sufficiently from hamstring tendinitis to feature in the latter stages of the Indian Premier League with the Rajasthan Royals.
“Shaun wants to prove he is fit for the Twenty20 World Cup in June. He needs to play some cricket,” said Gillespie of Tait, who has not played since February 1.
“Get him over there! First and foremost there’s no cricket in Australia. He may as well do it in the form of game he is going to play for his country in.”
Kasprowicz wants Lee to feature in Sunday’s one-day series finale in Abu Dhabi before being cleared to play IPL with Kings XI Punjab and county cricket.
He remains adamant that Tait must be unleashed “after a long spell” out, The Daily Telegraph reported.
“I am wondering if the selectors and the medical staff at Cricket Australia are being overly cautious about the players and resting them, not wanting players to go out and play and get the miles in the legs in matches,” Kasprowicz said. (ANI)
- Hauritz doubtful for England series, World Cup - Jan 22, 2011
- Bailey replaces Clarke for Sunday's ODI against India (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Tait retires from ODIs to focus on T20 career - Mar 28, 2011
- Angry and rejected ex-Oz pace bowler Tait says may take a trip to Greece - May 15, 2009
- White appointed captain of Australia's T20 team - Jan 07, 2011
- Sidelined Oz pacer Tait suffering from chronic hamstring tendonitis - Feb 20, 2009
- Hastings a surprise selection in Australia World Cup squad - Jan 18, 2011
- Oz selectors delay replacement for Bollinger seeing Hussey's optimism to return - Mar 01, 2011
- Mike Hussey should be definitely picked to replace Bollinger: David - Mar 04, 2011
- Lee, Tait recalled for first ODI against England - Jan 11, 2011
- Shaun Tait in Australia A squad to play Pakistan - Jun 01, 2009
- Surrey sign Tait for Twenty20 competition - Jan 14, 2011
- Brett Lee, Shaun Tait in Australia's T20 squad - Jan 07, 2011
- Shaun Marsh considering to go under knife - Dec 15, 2011
- Tait retires from one-day international cricket - Mar 28, 2011
Tags: abu dhabi, brett lee, county cricket, cricket australia, cricket board, daily telegraph, fast bowlers, ipl, jason gillespie, latter stages, medical staff, pacer, physio, premier league, punjab, royals, selectors, series finale, tait, twenty20 world cup