Former Olypian Karine Ruby Dies from a fallMay 30th, 2009 - 8:00 pm ICT by GD
Karine Ruby, the former Olympic champion in snowboarding, succumbed to a fatal accident on Friday, while climbing the famous Mont Blanc in Paris. Karine had turned 31 on 4th January this year. The death occurred from her falling into a crevice. The other climbers, to whom she was roped to, also fell into the deadly crevice. The top climber was Gilles Monchard who fell into the crevice along with five other climbers. Among these fateful five were Karine Ruby and Simon Quest, both of whom did not survive.
While the 38 year old Simon Quest (who was also training for being a mountain guide along with Karine) died, another 27 year-old man, who also fell, was timely rescued from the deadly crevice. He is in the hospital in a critical state and fighting a serious injury.
Karine was no doubt a sportsperson par excellence and in a statement released by the French Prime Minister, he has rightly called her so. He said that, “Karine incarnated the emergence of snowboarding in France… The people of France will hold on to her memory of talent and her joie de vivre.”
In the 1998, Nagano Olympics giant slalom, Karine was the proud winner of a gold medal. In the 2002 Salt Lake City Games she won a silver medal. With a total of 65 snowboard World Cup victories to her credit, Karine was a six times world champion.
In the 2006 Turin Olympics, Karine was unfortunately eliminated early in the snowboard cross event, in the quarterfinals. She retired soon after. She was recently undergoing training for becoming a mountain guide. The training would have been complete in a few weeks time.
- Olympic champion dies in accident - May 31, 2009
- Adventure Sports takes centre stage in Solang Valley - Feb 10, 2012
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
- Kuzmina delights Slovakia with Olympic biathlon gold - Feb 14, 2010
- Mary Kom confident, but not taking Olympic gold for granted - Apr 08, 2012
- Eight mountaineers die in Japan - May 05, 2012
- Kenya's Jelimo seeks Olympic glory after return from injury - Mar 14, 2012
- Ski championship lures sportspersons in Manali - Feb 18, 2011
- Mary Kom to train with male boxers for Olympics - May 21, 2012
- Olympic cycling champion Sanchez crashes out of Tour, Olympics - Jul 08, 2012
- Enjoying life is the secret to world's oldest twins' longevity - Sep 24, 2010
- Iran's first Olympic woman skier to carry the flag - Feb 09, 2010
- Indians rewriting Everest story - May 19, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Gretchen Bleiler Appears On The Connan O'Brien Show - Nov 26, 2009
Tags: 1998 nagano olympics, 2006 turin olympics, crevice, critical state, french prime minister, giant slalom, karine ruby, no doubt, olympic champion, olympics giant slalom, olypian, par excellence, proud winner, salt lake city, salt lake city games, silver medal, snowboarding in france, turin olympics, world champion, world cup victories