Former Liverpool defender Aurelio out with injuryJuly 1st, 2012 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 1 (IANS) Former Liverpool and Valencia defender Fabio Aurelio will miss the remainder of the Brazilian Serie A season after suffering a serious knee injury.
The 32-year-old tore the anterior cruciate ligament of his right knee in a collision with a teammate during training Saturday for new club Gremio, reported Xinhua.
It came just a day before he was set to make his debut for the Porto Alegre outfit, which is coached by former Real Madrid and Brazil manager Vanderlei Luxemburgo.
Gremio medical staff confirmed Aurelio would undergo surgery, possibly next week.
“Everybody knows the prognosis for this type of injury is six months on the sidelines and that means the season is over for him,” Gremio’s medical director Marcio Bolzoni said in a press conference.
“The incident was pure bad luck and has nothing to do with any previous injury. It’s a big shame.”
Aurelio signed with Gremio last month after being released by Liverpool, where he played six seasons and made 87 first-team appearances.
He also spent six years at Valencia having joined the Spanish club from Sao Paulo in September 2000.
- Former Liverpool defender Aurelio joins Brazil's Gremio - May 25, 2012
- Injured Gremio goalkeeper Grohe to miss crucial game - Apr 29, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Liverpool midfielder Lucas ruled out for season - Dec 02, 2011
- Gremio's Kleber to be out for five months - Mar 28, 2012
- Luxemburgo signs up to coach Gremio - Feb 22, 2012
- Former Man City midfielder Elano praises teammates - Jul 25, 2012
- Gremio eliminated from Brazilian state championship - Feb 27, 2012
- Diego Forlan set for Internacional debut - Jul 24, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro return to top of Brazil's Serie A - Aug 10, 2012
- Injured Rossi out of Euro 2012 - Apr 14, 2012
- Barcelona's Affelay gets injured during training - Sep 23, 2011
- Gremio grab 4-1 win in state championship - Mar 19, 2012
- Former Brazil coach urges Neymar to shun Barcelona - Sep 05, 2012
- I-League: Subrata Paul ruled out for three months - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: anterior cruciate ligament, bad luck, bolzoni, brazilian serie, gremio, knee injury, liverpool, marcio, medical director, medical staff, porto alegre, prognosis, real madrid, rio de janeiro, sidelines, spanish club, team appearances, teammate, vanderlei luxemburgo, xinhua