Former Brazilian striker leads Flamengo revivalAugust 12th, 2012 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 12 (IANS) Former Brazilian international striker Vagner Love scored his fourth goal in less than a week as rejuvenated Flamengo defeated Nautico 2-0 in Brazil’s Serie A championship.
Vagner scored in the 14th and 43rd minutes Saturday to take his tally to eight goals in the season, equalling Fred (Fluminense) and Alecsandro (Vasco da Gama) as the championship’s top scorer, reports Xinhua.
The former CSKA Moscow forward broke a run of eight matches without scoring Wednesday with a double in Flamengo’s 2-0 victory over Figueirense.
“I am a centre-forward and I don’t like to go so many matches without scoring,” Vagner said. “I am happy that my form is getting better.”
The victory lifts Flamengo to ninth spot in the standings with 22 points from 15 games.
In other matches Saturday Cruzeiro beat Bahia 1-0 while Figueirense recorded a 1-0 victory over Sport.
- Corinthians maintain lead in Brazilian championship - Nov 21, 2011
- Ronaldinho scores first goal for Atletico Mineiro - Jun 24, 2012
- Vasco da Gama's Edmundo prepares farewell match - Mar 21, 2012
- Fred keeps Fluminense on top - Sep 10, 2012
- Fluminense captures 2012 Guanabara Cup title - Feb 27, 2012
- Ganso scores twice as Santos thrash Catanduvense - Apr 16, 2012
- Juninho leads Vasco da Gama to victory - Apr 01, 2012
- Fred on target for Fluminense in Brazilian Serie A - Aug 16, 2012
- Fluminense, Vasco da Gama's first win in Rio Cup - Mar 04, 2012
- Felipe brace sends Vasco da Gama into Rio Cup final - Apr 23, 2012
- Internacional's Fabricio and Datolo deny Flamengo victory - May 27, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro return to top of Brazil's Serie A - Aug 10, 2012
- Ronaldinho scores to give Flamengo 2-1 victory - Apr 08, 2012
- Forlan ends goal drought with double - Sep 03, 2012
- Vasco da Gama continue unbeaten run in Rio Cup - Mar 12, 2012