Former Barbados all-rounder dies at 50August 29th, 2011 - 1:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bridgetown (Barbados) Aug 29 (IANS/CMC) Former Barbados all-rounder Elvis Reifer passed away suddenly Saturday morning. He was 50.
Reifer, a left-arm fast-medium bowler and a useful left-handed lower-order batsman, was one of four from his family that played in the regional first-class game.
His brothers Leslie and George played for Barbados mostly in the 1980s, his nephew Floyd played for Barbados and has been a fixture with the Combined Campuses and Colleges over the last four seasons, going on to captain West Indies, and his son Raymon made his regional debut for the CCC this year.
Reifer was signed as a 23-year-old by English county Hampshire in 1984, although he had no first-class experience.
He had limited success, scalping 41 English County Championship wickets at 41.53 apiece, although his One-day form was more promising.
Reifer was not retained the following season, and played one more first-class game, when he bowled 12 wicketless overs for Barbados.
In all, he played 21 first-class matches, scoring 408 runs at 22.66, and snaring 49 wickets at 36.95 apiece.
Reifer leaves to mourn his wife, Barbadian radio and television personality Carol Roberts.
- Former first-class umpire Nigel Harrison dead - Dec 19, 2011
- Brathwaite sole newcomer in Windies squad for Bangladesh - Sep 22, 2011
- India A 22/3 chasing 186 to win first 'Test' - Jun 05, 2012
- Gibson says Roach loss a huge blow but looks to Best, Edwards - May 31, 2012
- Best looking to make most of his West Indies call-up - May 24, 2012
- Brilliant Pujara carries India A to an exciting victory - Jun 06, 2012
- Permaul, Thomas rescue West Indies A against India A - Jun 03, 2012
- Offie Sunil Narine in Dwayne Bravo captained West Indies A - Nov 01, 2011
- Darren Bravo eyeing ICC Emerging Player honour - Sep 10, 2011
- Umpires abandon match after players show dissent over boundary - Sep 20, 2011
- Legendary fast bowler Wes Hall knighted - Jun 17, 2012
- Rain wrecks Windsor Park debut - Jul 07, 2011
- Australia ease to comfortable victory in tour match - Apr 05, 2012
- Bishoo dropped, in-form batsman Fudadin gets the nod - Apr 20, 2012
- Little play for Windies as rain dents preparation - May 08, 2012
Tags: 1980s, batsman, bridgetown barbados, campuses, carol roberts, ccc, class experience, class game, dg, first class, four seasons, left arm, nephew, regional debut, reifer, rounder, saturday morning, television personality, west indies, wickets