Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bailJuly 10th, 2012 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 10 (IANS) A West Bengal court Tuesday granted bail to Asiad gold medallist Pinki Pramanik, who after being accused of being a male had been under judicial custody since June 15 for alleged rape, the athlete’s counsel said.
“Pinki was granted bail today by the court district judge North 24 Parganas on a personal bond of Rs.5,000,” Tuhin Roy, the counsel, told IANS.
Reports of a chromosomal test to determine Pramanik’s gender are also slated to be submitted before the court by the SSKM Hospital. An 11-member medical board was constituted to conduct the tests.
Pramanik was arrested June 14 and remanded to 14 days’ judicial custody by a court June 15 after the athlete’s live-in partner, a divorcee and a mother of one, filed a police complaint accusing the athlete of being a male who repeatedly “raped and tortured” her.
Subsequent to the arrest, Pramanik was taken to a private nursing home for a medical check-up where the test reports claimed that the athlete was indeed a male.
Pramanik, however, claimed innocence and said it was a conspiracy.
Pramanik, who retired from athletics three years ago, won gold in the 4×400 metres relay at the 2006 Asian Games in Doha in Qatar. The runner was a silver medallist at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games the same year.
- Former athlete Pinki Pramanik gets bail (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Pinki denied bail, remanded to further judicial custody - Jun 29, 2012
- Athlete Pinki's blood sample taken for chromosomal test - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki undergoes gender test, medical board seeks more time (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Athlete Pinki undergoes gender test again in Kolkata - Jun 25, 2012
- MMS showing Pinki undergoing gender test goes viral online - Jul 02, 2012
- Pinki released from jail, alleges being framed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- New case filed against Pinki Pramanik - Jul 13, 2012
- Pinki alleges harassment in police custody (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Pinki's gender test report reaches hospital - Jul 09, 2012
- Pinki files theft complaint against live-in partner - Jul 15, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes sex test - Jun 19, 2012
- Pinki undergoes medical test, result Tuesday - Jun 18, 2012
- Pinki to undergo medical test Tuesday (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: alleged rape, asian games, athlete, conspiracy, district judge, divorcee, doha, gold medallist, innocence, judicial custody, june 14, medical board, medical check, melbourne commonwealth games, nursing home, personal bond, police complaint, pramanik, silver medallist, west bengal