Forlan, Seedorf promise success for new clubsJuly 8th, 2012 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 8 (IANS) Brazilian football club’s star signings Diego Forlan and Clarence Seedorf had a message for fans of their respective new clubs: they have come to Brazil to win trophies.
In Porto Alegre, Uruguay striker Forlan told supporters of Internacional that he was fulfilling a lifelong goal by playing in Brazil, where his father represented Sao Paulo and Cruzeiro, reported Xinhua.
“I’ve always liked Brazilian football and have watched it since I was a kid,” the 33-year-old said before Internacional’s match against Cruziero, which the home team won 2-1
Forlan, winner of the 2010 Golden Ball award for the best player at the 2010 World Cup, agreed to a three-year contract with Internacional on Friday.
His move follows a disappointing season with Inter Milan in Italy’s Serie A, where he scored just two goals in 20 matches across all competitions.
“The reception I’ve had from fans since arriving has been incredible,” Forlan said. “Now I just want to start training and playing as soon as possible. I want to have success here and know that I can get back my best form.”
In Rio de Janeiro, former Dutch international midfielder Clarence Seedorf arrived at the Engenhao stadium by helicopter and was welcomed with a fireworks display and ticker tape explosions.
“Good night, fans,” Seedorf said, in perfect Portuguese. “I have arrived and now my time at Botafogo will begin.
“Thank you for your support. Next week I will start working towards helping Botafogo move to the top.”
The former AC Milan playmaker then watched Botafogo move to sixth in Brazil’s Serie A standings with a 3-0 victory over Bahia.
The 36-year-old was greeted by an estimated 2000 Botafogo fans upon his arrival at Rio’s international airport Friday.
- Forlan signs with Brazil's Internacional - Jul 07, 2012
- Seedorf says Brazil can attract other European stars - Jul 10, 2012
- Diego Forlan set for Internacional debut - Jul 24, 2012
- Fred on target for Fluminense in Brazilian Serie A - Aug 16, 2012
- Seedorf double inspires Botafogo - Sep 06, 2012
- Deco praises Seedorf's Brazil move - Jul 05, 2012
- Seedorf fears Rio fan violence - Aug 25, 2012
- Forlan ends goal drought with double - Sep 03, 2012
- Ronaldinho ready to face former Milan teammate Seedorf - Aug 18, 2012
- Dutch star Seedorf scores first goal for Botafogo - Aug 05, 2012
- Seedorf leaves Milan after a decade for Botafogo - Jul 01, 2012
- Seedorf set for Botafogo debut - Jul 20, 2012
- Brazil to play three strikers at Olympics - Jul 17, 2012
- Flamengo confirms interest in Dorival as new coach - Jul 25, 2012
- Botafogo chasing more big names after Seedorf deal - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: ac milan, best player, brazilian football, clarence seedorf, cruzeiro, cruziero, diego forlan, dutch international, fireworks display, football club, inter milan, lifelong goal, midfielder, new clubs, playmaker, porto alegre, promise success, rio de janeiro, ticker tape, xinhua