Force India target fifth place after Valencia showJune 27th, 2012 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Silverstone, June 27 (IANS) Sahara Force India team principal Vijay Mallya feels his team can attain fifth place in the Formula One constructors’ championship and sustain the pace it showed in Valencia.
Force India go into the British Grand Prix next weekend at the back of their season’s best result which saw Nico Hulkenberg and Paul di Resta coming fifth and seventh at Valencia. The effort got the Silverstone-based outfit 16 points, pushing their tally to 44 and one less than the seventh-placed Williams.
“We are only one point shy of Williams right now and 16 points away from Sauber, who have had podium finishes. So we are getting there,” Mallya was quoted as saying by the official F1 website.
“We are definitely on target. I want to finish fifth in the constructors’ championship this year and - fingers crossed - it looks like we’re getting there,” he said referring to sixth-placed Sauber. Mercedes is fifth on 92 points.
Mallya was happy with the VJM05’s pace and rued the missed opportunity in Canada two weeks ago.
“Speaking frankly, we should have had the same or a similar result in Canada. But there we completely miscalculated the tyre behaviour.
“We ran the tyres too hot and subsequent analysis confirmed that this was a mistake on our part. We all agreed that it was a mistake and without it we would have left Montreal with a better result, possibly even a double points finish. But that is Formula 1. There is always an element of unpredictability,” he said.
The team had managed sixth place in 2011.
- Force India drivers seek faster car to match rivals - Mar 27, 2012
- Vettel claims another pole, Sutil sneaks into 10th at European GP - Jun 25, 2011
- Beating Mercedes has been the highlight so far, says Mallya - Aug 04, 2011
- Mallya pumps in 20 million pounds into Force India operation - Mar 13, 2012
- Mallya pumps in $32 mn into Force India (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- No plans to sell Force India team: Mallya - Oct 07, 2011
- Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, both Force Indias in top-10 - Nov 13, 2011
- Force India draw blank in Canadian GP - Jun 11, 2012
- Vettel wins Belgian Grand Prix, Sutil seventh - Aug 28, 2011
- Vettel wins Bahrain GP, Force India's Di Resta finishes sixth - Apr 23, 2012
- Di Resta predicts tougher fight between midfield teams - Mar 15, 2012
- Vettel wins maiden Monaco Grand Prix, Force India seventh - May 30, 2011
- Force India launch 2012 car - Feb 03, 2012
- Webber secures elusive win in Brazil, Force India end season on a high - Nov 28, 2011
- Force India confident of maintaining form in Hungarian GP - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: british grand prix, f1 website, fingers, force india, formula 1, formula one, india team, june 27, nico hulkenberg, podium, resta, sahara, silverstone, tally, target, team principal, tyre, tyres, unpredictability, vijay mallya