Football Association gives special treatment to Man U: ManciniMarch 2nd, 2011 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 2 (ANI): Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has accused the Football Association of favouring bitter rivals Manchester United after striker Wayne Rooney escaped punishment despite TV footage clearly showing him assaulting midfielder James McCarthy.
Mancini reckons Rooney should have been sent off for elbowing Wigan’s McCarthy.
Wigan owner Dave Whelan had also said that the FA is scared of Manchester United after Rooney was let off.
Referee Mark Clattenburg did not even accept he had made a mistake in his match report, so the FA took no action against Rooney, The Sun reports.
Mancini said: “It’s normal - the big club usually has different treatment. For me it was a red card, it was Rooney’s fault. Sometimes the referee can make a mistake but I think it was a red card, the same as everyone.”
Mancini is particularly surprised by the treatment Rooney has received over this incident when he believes his own striker Mario Balotelli is dealt with harshly by officials.
He was furious at Balotelli’s red card against West Brom earlier this season for what he claimed was a simple tangle of legs. (ANI)
- Rooney fate in referee's hand, can face four-match ban - Feb 28, 2011
- Football Association is scared of Manchester United: Wigan boss - Mar 01, 2011
- Referee Clattenburg 'was ready to walk away over Rooney elbowing incident - Mar 05, 2011
- FA could have intervened to punish Rooney over elbowing incident: FIFA chief - Mar 06, 2011
- Fergie facing FA rap following diatribe against referee - Mar 02, 2011
- City striker Balotelli faces nine-match ban - Apr 10, 2012
- Stoke's Wilkinson banned for three matches - Sep 21, 2012
- Bad boy Balotelli issues plea for help to Italian team coach - Mar 22, 2011
- Balotelli wants to stay with Manchester City - Apr 13, 2012
- Mancini tells Balotelli to cut the c**p - Apr 01, 2011
- 'Stupid' Balotelli responsible for crashing of Man City's Europa League dream - Mar 18, 2011
- Balotelli needs to change attitude: Mancini - Apr 14, 2012
- Balotelli faces Mancini's wrath after bad challenge on Tevez during training - Apr 02, 2011
- Mancini tells Balotelli to stop smoking - Dec 31, 2011
- Balotelli is even better than Torres: Mancini - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: balotelli, bitter rivals, city boss, dave whelan, football association, james mccarthy, manchester city, manchester united, mario, mark clattenburg, match, mistake, referee, roberto mancini, striker, sun reports, tangle, tv footage, wayne rooney, west brom