Football administrator Nasir Ali deadApril 12th, 2009 - 6:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 12 (IANS) Eminent football administrator and former player Syed Nasir Ali passed away here Sunday after a heart attack. He was 59 and is survived by wife, three sons and a daughter.
Nasir suffered a cardiac arrest Sunday morning at his residence and was rushed to LNJP Hospital.
From secretary of the Delhi Soccer Association (DSA) to the executive-committee member of the All India Football Federation (AIFF), Nasir had donned many hats as football administrator. He was currently a member of the I-League committee.
He has also been the manager of the national team and his last assignment was Doha Asian Games in 2006.
“Nasir Ali’s death is a huge loss to Delhi and Indian football,” the AIFF said in a statement.
Nasir started his playing career as a defender in 1964 and represented reputed Delhi clubs namely City FC and Mughal Sports Club in local league and also in the Rovers Cup and IFA Shield. He also represented Aligarh Muslim University in the Inter-University tournaments.
He was the DSA secretary from 1994 to 2002 and served as an executive member in the AIFF from 2004 to 2008.
“The DSA feels that the void created by his untimely death cannot be filled. His services towards the promotion of the game would be remembered,” said DSA secretary N.K. Bhatia.
- AIFF allows I-League clubs to register four overseas players - Jul 14, 2011
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- AIFF approaches Jindal, Videocon to sponsor I-League - Nov 12, 2010
- PLS sigh of relief after IFA assures AIFF - Feb 13, 2012
- AIFF forms two bodies for club-licensing criteria - Aug 22, 2012
- Tuboi was eligible to play for Shillong Lajong - May 27, 2011
- AIFF, clubs spar over I-League status - Aug 23, 2012
- Praful Patel appointed deputy chairman of AFC competition's committee - Apr 21, 2011
- AIFF urges I-League clubs to release players for Indian Arrows - Jul 10, 2011
- AIFF not to release Dempo's players for I-league derby - Dec 03, 2011
- I-League clubs agree to release players for Caribbean tour - Aug 08, 2011
- Chettri is AIFF's player of the year - Dec 20, 2011
- AIFF planning to expand I-League to 16 teams - May 30, 2010
- AIFF at loggerheads with I-League clubs - Feb 21, 2012
- AIFF says only three foreigners in playing eleven - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: aiff, aligarh muslim university, bhatia, cardiac arrest, city fc, doha asian games, executive committee member, executive member, football federation, heart attack, indian football, inter university, last assignment, league committee, local league, mughal, nasir ali, soccer association, sports club, untimely death