Focus is on maintaining my form: Mary KomJuly 21st, 2012 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 21 (IANS) India’s five-time world champion female boxer M.C. Mary Kom said that she is fully prepared to take on the best pugilists at the London Olympic Games, the highest stage in the world.
Mary Kom, a mother of two, left for Liverpool, England, in the early hours of Saturday. She will be training under the supervision of British coach Charles Atkinson before moving to the Games Village in London around August 3.
“I am fully prepared. This has been my dream and I am training very hard to achieve the desired results. We have increased the intensity of our training, working on various aspects of the game. My focus is to maintain my form and physical fitness and be on the top of my game when the competition starts,” said Mary Kom.
Throughout her career, Mary Kom has fought in the light flyweight category (48kg). However, to adjust to the weight category of the Games she increased her weight to fit into the 51kg category.
“Increasing and maintaining the weight was not difficult. But it takes some getting used to the kind of competition and the opponents you face. Boxers have an advantage because of the height and in some cases are stronger and that is where the big adjustment comes,” said the Manipuri, who is the lone female Indian boxer at the Games.
Mary Kom said training under Atkinson has helped her gain tactical advantages.
“We have been working hard at various aspects of the game, including technique and tactics. I am bound to get some taller and heavier opponents in London. Keeping this in mind Charles has designed a training schedule where I train and spar with two male boxers, one southpaw and the other orthodox, to get used to both styles of boxing,” she added.
- Mary Kom confident, but not taking Olympic gold for granted - Apr 08, 2012
- Will give my best for a bigger medal, says Mary Kom - Aug 06, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Mary Kom to train with male boxers for Olympics - May 21, 2012
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- Olympic bronze not the end of my road: Mary Kom (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- I had a tough time in 51kg: Mary Kom - Aug 14, 2012
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom in semis, ensures medal for India (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Critics want me to keep proving myself: Mary Kom - Jul 28, 2012
- Indians will be proud of Mary Kom, says husband - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom wins a historic bronze (India Round-up) - Aug 09, 2012
- Mary Kom wins gold at ASBC Asian Cup - May 09, 2011
Tags: champion female, charles atkinson, desired results, female boxer, intensity, kom, light flyweight, liverpool england, male boxers, manipuri, mumbai, olympic games, opponents, physical fitness, pugilists, southpaw, spar, time world champion, top of my game, weight category