FMSCI launches TSD Rally ChampionshipJune 11th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 11 (IANS) In a move that reflects ground reality, the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI) Monday announced the launch of the all new National Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) Rally Championship that will offer a total prize-money of Rs.One Crore.
The six-round series, promoted by Berunda Adventure Sports Club (BASC), commences in Bangalore Aug 10, followed by Ranchi (Sep 14), Coimbatore (Oct 26), Jaipur (Nov 30), Chandigarh (Dec 28) and Hyderabad (Jan 25, 2013).
Unlike the Indian National Rally Championship (INRC) that is run on a Stage format (on routes closed to non-Rally traffic) where speed is the decisive factor, the proposed TSD series focuses on navigation.
With the INRC without a promoter this year and restricted to just four rounds (three of them in Karnataka), the TSD format, that is fast gaining in popularity, seems to be the way forward as it is relatively inexpensive and does not require any modifications to the vehicle.
In a press release, FMSCI president Vicky Chandhok said: “This is a first and a very exciting step for rallying fans in the country. This is the only form of racing where speed is not a priority but rather precision and is a great stepping stone for rally enthusiasts.
“This championship provides great opportunities for manufacturers to get involved as well. TSD rallies were very popular in the 1970s-80s and we are happy to bring it back as part of the National Championship.
“The great thing here is that we will have the constructors/manufacturers fighting for the title of FMSCI National TSD Rally Champion rather than only drivers/navigators.”
According to the release, the organisers will create a pool of 30 teams in various categories with drivers and navigators being assigned through an open draw to the constructors. The cars need not be altered or modified as it is a TSD format.
Each car will be fitted with transponders, GPS, Trip Meter and digital cameras for backup times, verification, live update and reduce human error.
The TSD rallies will also have a special category for non-professionals / motorsport lovers. This will give any rallying fan the opportunity to participate and enjoy the thrill of motorsport in their respective cities. They can bring in their own cars and participate in a special leg of the rally.
- FMSCI launches TSD Rally Championship - Jun 11, 2012
- National TSD Rally championship launched - Aug 14, 2012
- India's auto giants to battle it out in J&K; Rally - Jun 06, 2012
- Top navigators for National TSD Rally - Aug 18, 2012
- Twenty cars to compete in Rally de State of Art 2011 - Jan 06, 2011
- Top rally drivers to take part in Dakshin Dare - Apr 08, 2012
- 40 entries for Monsoon Challenge Rally - Jul 18, 2012
- Trucks to make debut in Desert Storm rally - Feb 19, 2012
- Motorsport enthusiasts excited ahead of South India Rally - Jun 16, 2011
- Etios Motor Racing series car gets the nod - Aug 07, 2012
- Nashik to host first round of National Rally Championship - Mar 16, 2011
- Kashmir's Mughal motor rally to have bikes too - Apr 15, 2012
- Gill, Takale lead in Dakshin Dare Rally - Apr 10, 2012
- 'King of racers' aims to conquer Mughal rally - Jun 23, 2011
- Team MRF dominate Day 1 of Nashik Rally - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: adventure sports, basc, decisive factor, digital cameras, fmsci, ground reality, inrc, launch, national rally championship, national time, navigators, prize money, rally champion, rally championship, rally enthusiasts, rs one, sports club, time speed, trip meter, tsd rallies