Flower to take a short break after Test seriesAugust 15th, 2011 - 3:27 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 15 (IANS) England coach Andy Flower will take a small break after the four-match Test series and will be missing his team’s one-off ODI against Ireland in Dublin August 25.
It will be the first time the former Zimbabwe captain will be missing an ODI match since being appointed in 2009
The Daily Telegraph reported that Flower will leave deputy coach Richard Halsall to guide England’s one-day captain Alastair Cook.
It could be risky proposition, considering the fact that Ireland humbled England in the last World Cup and the match is three days after the conclusion of the fourth Test against India at The Oval.
But Flower needs some space to spend time with his wife and three children and wants to be fresh before the start of the ODI series against India.
After a day’s break following The Oval Test, England will fly to Dublin and train extensively to get ready for the international the following day.
Two years ago, England had a similar schedule after the Ashes win and what followed was a 1-6 thrashing against Australia in the subsequent ODI series.
- Eoin Morgan second Irishman to lead England - Aug 20, 2011
- England yet to know about their warm-up game opponents - Oct 05, 2011
- Gooch to be England's full-time batting coach - Sep 06, 2011
- Broad retains his place, Bresnan recalled in England squad - Jul 17, 2011
- England captain Strauss retires from professional cricket - Aug 29, 2012
- Injured Zaheer could miss most of the England series - Jul 22, 2011
- India still winless as first ODI abandoned (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2011
- Panesar, Tremlett recalled in England's 16-man squad for Ashes - Sep 24, 2010
- India will be itching to get revenge over England: Cook - Sep 30, 2011
- India humiliated in Edgbaston, England become No.1 in Tests - Aug 13, 2011
- Eden Gardens to host three international matches - Jun 18, 2011
- England play six Tests, 13 ODIs and four T-20s next summer - Sep 30, 2011
- England top six batsmen have underperformed: Flower - Nov 10, 2010
- England announce unchanged squad for Oval Test - Aug 14, 2011
- Appointing Cook is a big mistake by Flower: Greig - May 11, 2011
Tags: andy flower, australia, coach andy, coach richard, conclusion, daily telegraph, dublin, england coach, fly, India, ireland, london, match, odi series, oval test, risky proposition, short break, test series, world cup, zimbabwe