Flower believes KP has the goods to deliver Ashes to EnglandApril 16th, 2009 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.16 (ANI): New England cricket team coach Andy Flower believes batsman Kevin Pietersen can help England regain The Ashes this year.
The ex-Zimbabwe skipper, 40, insists that the talented but sometimes self-obsessed Pietersen is fundamental to the side’s chances in the busiest summer in their history.
“Kevin is very important to English cricket - he is a very fine player. Kevin and I have always got on pretty well and that hasn’t changed. As to any detail on that, you’ll have to ask Kev,” Flower was quoted, as saying.Pietersen, who is in South Africa preparing to captain Bangalore Royal Challengers in the IPL, revealed Flower came out of his shell in the Windies.
He said: “Andy Flower is a totally different bloke without Peter Moores around. We smoothed things over and have a great working relationship now. He has the makings of a world-class coach.”
Once Test skipper Andrew Strauss made it clear he wanted Flower to get the top job, his elevation was virtually certain.
Little more than three months ago, Pietersen wanted Flower axed along with coach Peter Moores.
England knew they could not afford another bust-up between captain and coach so the hiring of a head-hunting firm became little more than a show to avoid accusations of a cosy appointment.
England managing director Hugh Morris said: “The ECB believe he has the vision, drive and ambition to be just as successful in his new post as he was as a player. (ANI)
- My quitting as skipper laid England's Ashes win foundation: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- ECB fines Kevin Pietersen for Twitter outburst - May 24, 2012
- ECB tells new coach Flower to win Ashes - Apr 15, 2009
- Fletcher could come a cropper when he tours UK with Indian team: Swann - Apr 29, 2011
- ICC approves Morgan as Pietersen's replacement - Mar 08, 2011
- Moores sacking came at the right time: Pietersen - Dec 31, 2010
- Coach Flower rejects Warne's Pietersen is a outcast claim - Nov 22, 2010
- Coach Flower says KP will rise to the occasion during Ashes - Nov 23, 2010
- Feels strange to be back in England, says Fletcher - Jul 14, 2011
- Pietersen casts doubt on three-captain strategy - May 11, 2011
- Pietersen not the right man to captain England: Swann - Oct 10, 2011
- ECB asks Pietersen to find a new county or risk losing his contract - Aug 11, 2010
- Anderson defends ex-England coach Moores after Pietersen's criticism - Jan 01, 2011
- Pietersen can contribute a lot in Ashes, says Flower - Oct 26, 2010
- Flower slams timing of Swann's autobiography - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: andrew strauss, andy flower, batsman, bloke, challengers, class coach, coach andy, coach peter, director hugh, ecb, england cricket team, england london, english cricket, head hunting firm, ipl, kevin pietersen, moores, team coach, top job, windies