Flintoff unlikely to return in South Africa seriesJune 30th, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff’s eagerly awaited return to international cricket with the home series against South Africa is doubtful as he is yet to recover from his injury. England coach, Peter Moores has cast doubt on an immediate return to international cricket for Flintoff when the selectors name their squad Thursday for next week’s first Test against South Africa at Lord’s, reports The Guardian.
“It’s great that Andrew is back on the park and bowling well,” Moores was quoted as saying in the report.
“But we are also sensible about it, because we know you’ve got to be bowling fit and match fit rather than just getting the injury right, and that’s common sense. We’ve got to be sure we don’t put Andrew Flintoff in jeopardy if we don’t think he’s bowling fit,” he said.
Flintoff’s last Test was in Sydney in 2007 January and he has not played at all since the World Twenty20 in South Africa in September.
A month later he underwent a fourth operation on his troublesome left ankle but then picked up a side strain playing for Lancashire in May. He sent down only six overs in five Twenty20 matches recently before returning to first-class action in Hove Sunday, when he bowled 15 wicketless overs, conceding 43 runs, against Sussex.
“We’ve given him plenty of time with this latest injury and that’s right because he’s worked so hard to get himself back on the park,” said Moores.
- Fast bowler Anderson recalled for third Test against Sri Lanka - Jun 12, 2011
- Flintoff retires from all forms of cricket - Sep 16, 2010
- Queensland hopeful of securing Flintoff for KFC Twenty20 - Aug 04, 2010
- Flintoff not to play for Lancashire in 2010 - Aug 03, 2010
- Gautam Gambhir yet to recover from concussion - Aug 26, 2011
- Flintoff's career not over: Moores - Aug 09, 2010
- Injury doubts linger over Edwards but Sammy upbeat - May 06, 2012
- Flintoff will play again, says Moores - Mar 09, 2010
- Flintoff finds his form with bat - Jun 26, 2009
- Injury-hit England have much to ponder over fitness (Team Profile, World Cup Countdown) - Feb 09, 2011
- Flintoff says he hopes to make 20-20 comeback for Queensland - Aug 24, 2010
- Flintoff, a massive fan of professional wrestling - Apr 18, 2010
- South African bowling coach Donald plans to topple England - Aug 17, 2011
- Praveen Kumar doubtful for World Cup - Feb 07, 2011
- Flintoff hopes to be back in action in next few weeks - Jul 21, 2010
Tags: africa series, andrew flintoff, bowling, coach peter, common sense, doubt, england coach, first test, guardian, international cricket, jeopardy, lancashire, last test, left ankle, moores, rounder, selectors, south africa, sussex, world twenty20