Flintoff in danger of missing a part of Ashes series: Gough.April 27th, 2009 - 6:17 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.27 (ANI): Former England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff is in danger of missing a part of the upcoming Ashes series, said former Test cricketer Darren Gough whose career was similarly affected.
Flintoff, 31, is undergoing surgery this week on a tear to the cartilage in his right knee.
Gough, who missed out on the 2002-03 Ashes series in Australia after losing a fitness battle with his knee, said: “He’s got the same kind of knee problem as I had - a meniscal tear to the cartilage in the right knee.
“It’s not good news. His body was twisting as he delivered the ball and the pressure must have been about 10 times his body weight - and he’s not a small lad. It’s not a nice injury,” The Mirror quoted Gough, as saying.
“He could be out for eight weeks, and that’s if everything goes 100 per cent hunky-dory. In my mind there is a danger that he could miss some or all of the Ashes if things don’t go so well. An injury like that to your knee takes a lot out of you. It’s a hard recovery,” he added. (ANI)
- Gough backs Tremlett to replace injured Broad for Perth Test - Dec 10, 2010
- Ashes-winning heroics in 2009 finished me: Flintoff - Mar 17, 2011
- New procedure repairs torn knee cartilage faster - Oct 17, 2010
- Flintoff flies home for knee surgery - Apr 24, 2009
- Injury forces Andrew Flintoff out of IPL tournament - Apr 24, 2009
- Harris stakes claim for first Ashes Test berth - Nov 11, 2010
- McCullum needs surgery to repair right knee cartilage tear - Mar 20, 2011
- Focus on cartilage injuries at India meet - Nov 13, 2011
- England to fly a 16-man 'clone' team as cover for Ashes defence - Sep 25, 2010
- Onions ruled out for three months with back injury - May 21, 2010
- Retired Flintoff to launch TV career - Sep 17, 2010
- 2009 Ashes victory finished my career: Flintoff - Mar 17, 2011
- Ex-England star Gough slams 'pathetic' dumping of Pietersen - Sep 02, 2010
- Oz pacer Harris undergoes revolutionary knee treatment to revive Ashes hopes - Oct 19, 2010
- Why is Mayawati government averse to CBI probe: Congress (Lead) - May 17, 2011