Flamengo sacks coach SantanaJuly 24th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 24 (IANS) Brazil’s football powerhouse Flamengo have sacked coach Joel Santana following the team’s poor results.
Flamengo’s football director Zinho confirmed Monday that the 63-year-old had been relieved of his duties following the team’s 0-1 loss to Cruzeiro Sunday, reports Xinhua.
“I had a meeting with him at the club this morning and thanked him for his efforts. I have a great amount of respect of him,” Zinho said during a press conference in Rio. “The situation was unsustainable. It was my decision to have a positive reaction in the Serie A championship.”
Sunday’s result was Flamengo’s third loss in four matches and left the club at the 10th spot with 15 points from 11 games.
The team was also eliminated during the group phase of the Copa Libertadores tournament earlier this year and performed below expectations during the Rio state championship.
Santana, a former South Africa national team coach, took the rein of the club in February this year, replacing Vanderlei Luxemburgo. It was his fifth stint as coach of the Rio outfit.
Zinho said a replacement was yet to be found for Santana but Dorival Junior, sacked by Internacional last week, is widely tipped to get the job.
- Flamengo confirms interest in Dorival as new coach - Jul 25, 2012
- Flamengo fires head coach Luxemburgo - Feb 03, 2012
- Flamengo's fans frustrated with Libertadores loss - Jan 26, 2012
- Internacional defeat Ceramica in Rio championship - Apr 15, 2012
- Former Real Madrid coach leads Gremio into top four - Jun 25, 2012
- Luxemburgo signs up to coach Gremio - Feb 22, 2012
- Ronaldinho in hot water at Flamengo - Jan 19, 2012
- Ronaldinho denies indiscipline charge - Jun 04, 2012
- Riquelme in talks with Brazil's Flamengo - Jul 08, 2012
- Fans want Ronaldinho out of Flamengo - Apr 07, 2012
- Injured Gremio goalkeeper Grohe to miss crucial game - Apr 29, 2012
- Riquelme does not deserve to play at Flamengo: Coach - Jul 21, 2012
- Flamengo to re-sign Adriano, says coach - May 02, 2012
- Flamengo eliminated from Copa Libertadores - Apr 13, 2012
- Flamengo upbeat about Adriano return - Jun 23, 2012